Author Topic: Finally managed to bend tips - further guidance needed  (Read 5739 times)

Offline FilipT

Finally managed to bend tips - further guidance needed
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:19:20 pm »
Short explanation:

Worked on my first black locust flatbow and I got the tiller even at 25" or so. I stopped because angle between tips and string become 90 degrees and if I would go till intended 28", it would be even greater. Since I before wanted a recurve, I decided to flip the tips so I could get rid of that bad angle and make my first recurve bow.
Suddenly there were lot of problems on bent shape. When I corrected them, new came in. That cycle continued for long and at the end I was left with thin bow that had torqued limbs and as a result string was not going through center like before. I threw the bow away as it didn't make sense to continue it.

How to prevent such errors in future? Any advice on when to flip the tips or how to watch shape when there are flipped tips?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:46:32 am by FilipT »

Offline Badger

Re: I failed making my first recurve, need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 02:04:28 pm »
  A good way to prevent this from happening is to pull the bow to full weight the entire time through the tillering process but you have to make sure the entire limb doesn't have any weak spots in it when you start off.  No part of a limb will bend too far if it is too strong or stiff so you don't have to worry about that as long as you bring it down evenly.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 03:13:40 pm »
How long was the bow?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 03:55:08 pm »
How long was the bow?

66 inches nock to nock.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 03:57:17 pm »
  A good way to prevent this from happening is to pull the bow to full weight the entire time through the tillering process but you have to make sure the entire limb doesn't have any weak spots in it when you start off.  No part of a limb will bend too far if it is too strong or stiff so you don't have to worry about that as long as you bring it down evenly.

That was probably the case. Even though I always use scale, this bow had a lot of waviness in the limbs, which I am not too experienced with so that created all kinds of trouble for me. Somewhere I probably left undulations too weak, somewhere too stiff, who knows. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 04:36:25 pm »
How long was the bow?

66 inches nock to nock.

If your string angle was 90 degrees at 25 inches with a 66 inch bow then something was terribly wrong with your bend.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 04:52:24 pm »
Pics always help to determine the problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 05:31:54 pm »
Yeah, start a new one nd post pics as you go. we will help you!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Julian

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 01:57:24 am »
How long was the bow?

66 inches nock to nock.

If your string angle was 90 degrees at 25 inches with a 66 inch bow then something was terribly wrong with your bend.

+1, or your handle section was much too long, perhaps

Offline FilipT

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 03:41:13 am »

I wouldn't use word terribly. I am not a complete beginner and terrible tiller doesn't really happen to me anymore. That being said, unfortunately I don't have any picture to show. But I can say this, whole limb bent, including tips. Tips were not stiff for couple of inches. That probably happened because of very thin limbs. This picture of someone's bow describes best how my tiller looked at 25". Notice the string angle.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:45:38 am by FilipT »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 03:41:44 am »
+1, or your handle section was much too long, perhaps

It wasn't. Handle was 4" and fades were 2" each.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 07:35:17 am »
There was still 4" to 5" past the fades that was stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FilipT

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 07:44:36 am »
That is not my bow on picture; I put that picture to show you close approximation how my tiller looked like.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 09:27:29 am »
If your bow looks like this one then my opinion stands. By getting those 10" or so near the handle bending the string angle will be changed and the bow can be drawn farther.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 01:23:57 pm »
Ok, tnx for advice, I am going to attempt another recurve, probably next week so I will post my progress.