Author Topic: Trying a new way to finish handles  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Julian

Trying a new way to finish handles
« on: April 21, 2018, 04:03:15 am »

Went over a work in progress with my sloyd knife. I think once I sand the ridges and oil, this could look really nice, and its somewhat tactile.

What are your thoughts?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Trying a new way to finish handles
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 05:50:55 am »
I'm not a fan of it.  I like smooth lines on a selfbow.  Maybe if it was just in the actual grip it would look better.  That's just my opinion.  If you like the way it looks that's all that matters.   I would suggest making a better transition between limb and handle.  Your fades are pretty steep.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Julian

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 06:10:25 am »
hmm, I'll work on it.

now you mention it I'm a tad worried about the fades. they are steep but I think it will be fine. it does taper into the working limb over a bit of a longer distance than you can see well here. Like its steep at the top but shallow at the bottom?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 07:29:45 am »
I don't like it. I like em rounded and smooth as a baby's butt. If I'd find so much as a hint of a single tool or sanding mark on a bow when it's done, it'd drive me NUTS.

Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 07:37:22 am »
Julian, there's lots of room for personal preference.
Watch that abrupt transition to the limb though.
Jawge
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:16:15 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Julian

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 07:42:12 am »
well I think I'll probably end up covering it in leather but in the mean time I'll try develop the idea a bit better.

I like the idea of having some kind of grippyness without changing the material

Offline Julian

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 07:46:21 am »
I'm a bit worried about my fades now so I'm going to take a better photo and start a new thread about it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 08:09:28 am »
There is no need for a bow handle to have any grippiness.  Slick as a polished hammer handle is best.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 08:16:09 am »
I find commercially tanned deer leather quite grippy.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Julian

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 08:21:58 am »
For what its worth, here's a finished example of the kind of thing I was going for:

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 04:30:32 pm »
  I think it's cool.  I might not do it myself, but I like that you are.  Kind of a "staghorn" look like a knife handle.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 07:14:18 am »
I think that is a creative idea with a good finished look with a lot of possibilities if you use different stains.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:26:00 am »
Julian, you have just reinvented checkering. I kinda like the look on certain handles, if ya like go with it.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Aksel

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 05:10:01 pm »
Hi Julian, I want to encourage you to try this handle style. Might turn out nice!

Even though glossy and shiny is pleasing to the eye (and dents and scratches can lead to a bow breaking), a part of me cant stand it too pretty,  replicating the look of fiber glass and plastic era bows with perfect surface. I feel similar about neat leather sewn on handles to be honest. Too much victorian era -robin hood romanticism for me:) Leather or suede soaks up moisture and transports it into the bow. I prefer it a bit rustic. I like to bring the character of the wood out with a nice finish and I tend to leave the grip bare, or wrap it in cord or simple strips of leather I can remove if wet.
Stoneagebows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 06:47:03 pm »
Id like a snake or fish scale pattern. Something shallow, but able to be felt in the hand. I like my grips to have some "grab" to them. When you hunt with your bows you find yourself in a lot of scenarios. Gloves may be slippery from rain or snow or sweat. Or, maybe you dont have gloves on at all, just wet hands make a grip slide all over. I dont like that. I eliminate any chances of my equipment costing me. I want it to be my fault only when things dont go well in the field.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.