Author Topic: Those shorty sage bows  (Read 4065 times)

Yellarwoodfellar

Re: Those shorty sage bows
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 09:00:26 am »
My whole reasoning on this subject is to hear opinions on bow design. My thinking's are this
1: How often did the old ones make a bow?
2: why do we adopt one set of parameters without weighing the outcomes of other variations?
 You see, I will make and shoot a new bow every few days. I'll never wear that bow out. I know it will take game because it is a much harder shooting bow than the one I used to harvest my first whitetail. Thanks to Mr. Clay Hayes on his you tube video for that particular bow. A wonderful design built on safety and longevity.  a great perfomer shooting 158 fps avg with a 500 grain arrow drawing 54 lbs @ 28 inches. This stressed out bow in the pic fires an 800 grain bamboo arrow at 150. It's a pretty snappy bow. But I digress. Point is this bow follows my parameters.
My range stays constant 10 yards So I can hit pretty much anything with any arrow with any bow that I've shot thirty times or so. I like short bows as they slip through these ky hills smoothly and silence is necessary when You got to get within thirty feet of a particular location.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:58:43 am by Yellarwoodfellar »

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 09:11:29 am »
They are fine in that context but no need to saddle them with bad or uneven tiller. Might as well get the best out of them.

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 10:05:18 am »
If handshock is low accuracy acceptable and speedy enough how is the tiller bad? I wonder how the paleos pulled it off without calipers and cauls?

Online sleek

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 11:06:02 am »
They had other people doing tiller checks with them. I do it mostly myself just bu using a forked branch. I put the string in the fork and pull the bow down, looking at it as i do.  One guy can get a good tiller by himself without fancy tools.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 11:34:24 am »
Same bow.

Online sleek

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 12:10:41 pm »
Those stiff tips, are they levers?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:49 pm »
If handshock is low accuracy acceptable and speedy enough how is the tiller bad? I wonder how the paleos pulled it off without calipers and cauls?

Tiller is about more than that. 

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:23 pm »
Yes they are levers. The bottom limb is two inches shorter than the top that's why the bend is more near the handle. The top limb bends more to the middle. My reasoning to this is to make a shorter working limb on top to help take up slack during string travel. The bottom limb is also a quarter inch wider in the width than the opposing limb helping to accommodate the severity of the bend while adding mass to help balance the offset weight of the longer upper. It was just an experiment to see if shoot ability could be achieved without Being symmetrical. Longevity will be determined........ I just wanted to see what others thought about it's very unorthodox design ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:03:28 pm by Yellarwoodfellar »

Offline PatM

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 12:51:46 pm »
Asymmetrical bows are very common so not unorthodox at all.  That doesn't have an effect on where the bow bends though.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 01:07:18 pm »
Is there a difference in performance between symmetrical and asymmetric layouts.