Author Topic: Those shorty sage bows  (Read 4064 times)

Online sleek

Re: Those shorty sage bows
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 06:39:08 pm »
I also want to know why is the indicated set not being accepted as a measurment of the short bows stress, like it is on any other bow. Everyone always asks or wants to know, how much set dis it take, as if in our minds it tells us about the quality of bow it is. Why is this not the case here. 1.5 inches of set is very acceptable.

AND I STILL WANNA SEE PICS !!!!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 07:06:56 pm »
PatM,,,
You bring about a point,that we must also consider..Define "Very Long".....
Some may think a year,is a long time,to shoot a bow.Some are constantly making bows and trying to push the limits of said bows..Others just get bored with a certain bow and are lookin for that Greener grass bow,across the fence..Im of the camp,,that has forsaken the fast cars and fast women,that likes a bit more comfortable dependability..I prefer, a safer simpler design bow,that i can shoot for a longer while,before i have to build a replacement..I guess you could say,,im one of those 1 bow type a guys..

Combination of both factors.   A favorite bow gets saved a bit if you still like to make new bows.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 07:11:04 pm »
I also want to know why is the indicated set not being accepted as a measurment of the short bows stress, like it is on any other bow. Everyone always asks or wants to know, how much set dis it take, as if in our minds it tells us about the quality of bow it is. Why is this not the case here. 1.5 inches of set is very acceptable.

AND I STILL WANNA SEE PICS !!!!

A bow can still just get more tired and hide it pretty well visibly.  I had a Maple bow that I shot hard and really abused for years and years.  It had a solid 1.5" of set from day one and then one day it just died without showing any real signs why.

It looks the same and feels the same at brace but it just lost about three steps.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 07:20:06 pm »
I will concur with Pats post,,concerning the tired factor and loosing cast more significantly than a longer bow..Im not sure i understand your intended point,on the following post..

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »
I don't know how to post a pic. Never been accused of being technologically inclined ya know

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 08:53:38 pm »
Not even sure how that happened. I didn't know it was loaded honest

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 09:02:44 pm »
Well that one probably won't last too long.

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:34 pm »
I see, could you help me with why and what to do next time? I'm still very much a rookie at this so any help would be......... Helpful

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 09:36:12 pm »
All the bend is in the inner limbs and more is on the lower one.  You need to spread that bend up the limb more and balance it from limb to limb.

Online sleek

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 09:51:23 pm »
Well that one probably won't last too long.

Agreed. Not a bad effort but Pat nailed it on his evaluation.

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 09:53:47 pm »
So that bow will lose cast rapidly and break, how Often would one have to shoot before this design starts to take a dump? I have never made one so short but I think that the bow feels decent low shock 1.5 wide at the fade I know everybody yells stiffer lower but how much shooting would have to be done to make that happen. I'm shooting a new bow every three days or so. I got this itchin sensation see and it only goes away when I scratch that gold.

Online sleek

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 10:05:41 pm »
By tje lools of tjat wrap you have on that hinge, upper limb, id say you aint too far away from failure now. However, it could last a thousand shots. The only certain answer is, when it does.

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 10:13:30 pm »
I had a splinter lift there so I tried seizing it and making that whole hinged area stiffer that's why the bend is less in the upper limb. I wouldn't have called that a hinge though. It doesn't look like one to my untrained eyes

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 10:19:20 pm »
I started this whole arrow flinger whackadoo building on a whim. Just seen one on the interwebs that was just too purty to not try it myself and that was a wrap. Now I will post many more to come and I love criticism good bad and ugly. I got rhino skin so don't be bashful lemme have it. Lol

Online sleek

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 10:23:36 pm »
Lol, good to hear. Now, wear safety glasses and a cup, before that bow lets you have it. Copy the tiller of successful bows and you will do alright. I understand liking the short bows, they are great. But ya gadda treat em like a lady.