Author Topic: WHEN TO BRACE AND HOW MUCH BRACE  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

WHEN TO BRACE AND HOW MUCH BRACE
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:20:41 am »
So, I am back and would like to again remind all that I am a first time bow builder. My most recent pics, a few shavings later, are posted below.  I am not at around 49 or 50 lbs at 26 inches and have not braced (That is, I'm still using a loose string).  I was wondering if I should go ahead and brace now and whether it should be a low brace, or a full thumb and fist brace, in light of how the bow is bending(I know that left limb is bending more than the right), as i continue to tiller.  I hope I dont end up with a 15lb draw Lol.  Thanks!

https://imgur.com/7GreUp6
https://imgur.com/qqovzOL

Offline Badger

Re: WHEN TO BRACE AND HOW MUCH BRACE
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:24:37 am »
  It will read the same when you brace it as it does with the loose string so you are going to be about 50# at 26" right now. I would brace it with just a slightly low brace maybe 5" or so.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:28:41 am »
Thanks Badger!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:11:33 am »
Carl, I don't know what you should do but I can tell you what I do. :)

I long string tiller out to 10" of string travel (not tip string travel) looking for good bending and tiller and around target weight. This puts the stave at 10# over  final target weight. Perfect for me to make weight and get a good tiller and not strain the stave at first brace.

Then I string it at 2-3 " brace height. As I proceed I gradually increase brace height to 7" to back of handle.

More on my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Even though you may get the same weight at 26" (don't know for sure; don't do that anymore;  used to) but will take Steve's word for it. The dynamics of the bending is different so I am not sure you have accomplished much.

Welcome back.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:14 am »
Thanks George!

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:54:30 pm »
  Jawge, he is already at 26" so there is no going back

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:38:03 pm »
Don't brace yet, you have a very stiff right limb. If you brace your bow you will hinge the left limb.

Take a gizmo measurement on the deepest bend on the left limb and use this measurement to lighten up the right limb. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 02:11:41 pm »
I know, Steve. I just told him what I do. LOL.

Right limb, mid limb on needs to bend more.

:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 02:26:52 pm »
  I didn't see the picture! makes a big difference. Once he gets that evened out he will likley be below his target weight but still have a nice bow.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 03:15:38 pm »
If it's hard to brace it's to heavy
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 04:00:49 pm »
OK, lots going on here.  Let's hit some basics.  We've all been here.

First, you tiller is way off.  You have been pulling it too far without making corrections to the bend.

See how much more the left limb is bending than the right?  The right limb is barely flexing.  The left limb is bending a LOT near the handle, and a LOT less farther out.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:05:03 pm by Springbuck »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 04:13:36 pm »
 Part of your problem with seeing the limb bend, is the bow is crooked in the cradle of your tillering stick.

Also, your string is being pulled from way off center.  The pull on the string needs to relate to where your handle would be on the handle.  Can you see how the string on the left is much longer than the string on your right?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:36:07 pm by Springbuck »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 04:39:30 pm »
I would take ten heavy scrapes of the right limbs from fade to tip.sand it down to remove tool marks pull it back 50 times then put it back on the tree.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 04:45:22 pm »
  There's something odd going on with your handle, too, but, later.

Anyway,  I suggest you shorten up the string so it just reaches tip to tip with a little slack.   Determine which side is top and which is bottom limb.   Then find and mark the handle where the base of your thumb will be when you grip it.

Place the bow in the cradle again, forming a perfect "T" to the stick.  90 angles, not tipped side to side.  When you go to pull the string into a slot, make sure the spot on the string is right opposite that spot on your handle.  Make sure the bow stays right there level as you pull the string.

With the shorter long-string, only go to about 10-12", instead of 26" where you are.  Leave it there, get a tillering gizmo, and get the limbs evened out.  Then you'll know what you really have.

Good luck! 

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 04:52:51 pm »
Also your handle is very long for a all wood bow .