Author Topic: Much More Bending On One Limb  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

Much More Bending On One Limb
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:39:59 pm »
Hello Again,

I am a bit more along the tillering process and am starting to get alot more of an arc on one limb than the other.  I am using a tillering gizmo, but I started using one later along the process, and the more bending limb was already the weaker of the two, and the one that I set the gizmo with.  I am just concerned that it is really starting to arc alot more than the other.  Should I just shave on the one less bending limb for a couple rounds on the same setting with the gizmo that I got from that weak limb?  Or should I continue to shave both limbs every round?  I hope this questions makes sense to you all.  Here is the latest  photo.  https://imgur.com/Z4ZEmtZ  Thanks!

Offline DC

Re: Much More Bending On One Limb
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 05:52:20 pm »
Don't touch the weak limb until the other has caught up.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 05:57:35 pm »
and make sure the mid limbs gets bending a bit more. looks like most bending is happening at the fades. 
Stoneagebows

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 05:58:43 pm »
What DC said.  The whole job is to make them bend smoothly and symmetrically.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »
Thank you

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 02:15:24 pm »
Wot they said!
You must also remember that you can't just work on one limb without effecting the other!
As you make one weaker, it makes the other appear slightly stiffer (as they now share the total bend more evenly)...
The bow acts like a see saw (teeter totter) on the tiller
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:28:18 pm »
Your goal through the tillering process is to have both limbs bending evenly and together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 05:56:55 pm »
set your gizmo so it just barely doesn't touch the belly of the weak limb anywhere.  Now mark up the strong limb with the gizmo at that setting and don't touch the weak limb until the gizmo won't touch the belly of the formerly strong limb.  As long as there are not any funny wavy parts of your stave, the gizmo won't lie.  your eye can often deceive you.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
   The first thing you need to do is find out how hard you can pull the bow ( Scale)before the fade or any other part of the limb starts to bend too much. That will be your limit on how strong your bow will be. If you don't pull past that weight you can't hurt the bow. I think your fade is already bending too much for the amount you have pulled so you are pulling it too far right now. Back off till that fade looks right and then even up your limbs at that draw weight. Always work on the stiffer limb first.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:37 pm »
Carl...If you have parallel width limbs from your fades to midlimb an eliptical tiller is to have it bending just a little at the fades and then slowly bending more farther onto the limb with the last 6" of tip stiffish.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 03:57:21 am »
   Carl,
           Great advise from everyone...First off mark the "center of your string" so you will know when it's in the tree your bow isn't leaning, it appears not to be centered...Seems the bow is leaning, could be camera angle...Work the inners from here for an even bend in the red areas...
                                                                                                         Don
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:01:38 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;