Author Topic: String Tracking using Gravity...  (Read 8289 times)

Offline burchett.donald

String Tracking using Gravity...
« on: April 07, 2018, 01:59:10 pm »
     String tracking a character bow or any bow has been in many discussions here on PA...I want to show what has been working for me a long time...I can lean a bow against a wall or hold it however I want, then take a look...Standing behind the bow I can move a little and so does the string picture...Lean left and the string appears to track to the right... Lean right and the string appears to move left...I would always scratch my head at this point and say is this really accurate...
    I have a tool that I use after "brace" that points to the strings track...I use gravity and a wire plumb...I was tillering a sinew backed character Ocean Spray this morning and took some pictures...
    This has worked for me countless times and hasn't failed me yet...Hope this is helpful to someone..
                                                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

Re: String Tracking using Gravity...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:00:04 pm »
More...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:10:35 pm »
I use the same tool but I support the bow between 2 blocks of 2x4's just past the fades making sure its squared and even.  I think when you hold it by the string like that the bow will become plumb underneath it and you could get a false reading.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:16:59 pm »
  That's the idea Clint, I want to plumb the bow also...This is a high crown so it wouldn't set on blocks...An undulating back on a flat surface will give you a false read...
                                                                                            Don

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 02:53:43 pm »
I believe that this is the quickest, easiest method to get it close enough whether you hold it by the string, like Don or by the limbs like BJ. Something in the back of my little brain says there is a little something we are missing though. Ideally if you could have the bow at brace height and full draw at the same time and then sight from nock point to nock point your line of sight should hit the middle of the bow. haven't really figured how to do that and I'm not sure it would gain you much.
Have you ever done one that surprises you? Like you're pretty sure it's right and then use this method and find its wrong? I think you would probably feel it twisting in your hand or something.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 03:05:27 pm »
DC,
         So far no surprises...Although I do heat bend and most alignment around floor tiller...I can see where a stave with enough twist or character wouldn't work...I only use this as a reference after brace and try to shape my handle to plumb...I haven't built a bow with enough character to twist in my hand...So far it has given me the best side to shoot my bendy's from...
                                                                                        Don

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 03:22:46 pm »
great thread guys. I have always struggled with how best to measure this on snakey bows, or bows with uneven twist. These bows look like they have aligned handles when unstrung, but upon stringing the snakes and rollercoasters cause twist, which brings the string out of alignment. I basically use the "gravity" method (holding the string), and also pay attention to weather the belly lies exactly perpendicular to a line drawn from the string to the belly. In the end, if it shoots arrows well, it's good enough.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 03:29:37 pm »
Well there ya go Don, It must work as advertised bud, because your full draw sort of says everything that needs to be said. That bow looks perfectly balanced, and perfectly tillered. I know that us "bendy" guys are weird but damned if that bow does not look like a screamer....SWEET and PERFECT
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 03:57:29 pm »
 Wow!  Rich, thank you for the kind words... When it comes to bendy's you taught me everything I know Sir...Your the Bendy doctor...

Aaron,
              That's a good point to bring up about the belly being perpendicular to the string...I think that is important...In my case it was perpendicular but I couldn't decide which side was going to be the best to shoot from so I used the plumb method...Here's some pics of what I was faced with...It shoots really well
                                                                                                                                                    Don

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 04:47:31 pm »
Awesome, never though about wire. I made a miniature plumb bob, but its a pain to tie it on then back off, gonna make one like yours. Thanks.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 05:23:48 pm »
ill give it a try, thanks

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 05:42:37 pm »
I have a short arrow shaft with a knock on it that I use as a pointer but never thought about suspending the bow by the string great idea Thanks !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12:48 pm »
  JW, Brad and Stick Bender thanks...Please share some feedback on your future results...

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 11:45:49 pm »
Cool idea! I will give it a try. There are definitely times that I'm second guessing myself about the string alignment. I have to be extra careful as a lefty making right handed bows because if the string is tracking to the left a bit then it might shoot well for me but not for a righthanded shooter.

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 08:09:46 am »
Don,
  Thanks for the post. I just learned something else.   So much good information on this site. 
   Steve