Author Topic: Waterproofing sinew backed bows  (Read 2586 times)

Offline gfugal

Waterproofing sinew backed bows
« on: April 06, 2018, 11:47:36 am »
Other than the traditional birch bark backing what other ways could you waterproof a sinewed back bow? Could you put a coat of TBIII on it? or will that just look weird as a finish base-layer? Maybe it would be better if you put a thin backing of cloth or paper glued on with TBIII top of the sinew. Maybe if you used polyurethane or something else as a finish it would be enough.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

Re: Waterproofing sinew backed bows
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:18:50 pm »
Very thin rawhide gives a nice base for applying typical water resistant bow finishes.  Snakeskin is obviously another option and naturally  more resistant already.   Quite a few guys have mentioned using Titebond as a coating.

Massey finish has been used with no intermediate layer  and others have just applied  tru-oil or poly and even exterior grade paint.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:23:37 pm »
As far as leaving the back in sinew with no other coverings, I think dipping the entire bow in urethane works the best. I did one limb at a time, two dips per limb.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
I prefer to put snake skins over sinew
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:49:04 am »
I've only ever used snake skins or birch bark.Put on with TB 3.Then a finish over that.Giving it layers of protection in that way.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:56:19 am »
I've only ever used snake skins or birch bark.Put on with TB 3.Then a finish over that.Giving it layers of protection in that way.

I do it the same way Ed, I use TB3 over the sinew.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 02:21:41 pm »

I do it the same way Ed, I use TB3 over the sinew.

x3
I have 2 sinew backed bows drying right now...they will both get snakeskin over the sinew when dried.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »
I used TBIII as a waterproofing a sinew backed bow but added snake skin over that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gfugal

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 03:45:09 pm »
I don't have birch bark or snake skins right now. I am wanting to use what I have, but it sounds like some finishes, and TB3 should work. Thanks for the responses guys!
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.