Author Topic: Broke One Today  (Read 747 times)

Offline Scallorn

Broke One Today
« on: March 30, 2018, 05:08:31 pm »
Greetings all.
  I haven't posted in quite a while but i have had a pre-Columbian Caddo set of archery equipment in the works. The bow i was going to pattern after the osage longbow found in a burial mound in NW LA. I had a beautiful 70" osage stave roughed out and on the tillering stick ready to go, but apparently i got overly ambitious with my heat bending when re-flexing the tips.
Long story short, CRACK! right in the middle of tillering. After investigating the piece i found that i had created stress fractures in the belly while flipping the tips. Broke my heart cause that's about 14 months of waiting gone to waste. Life goes on though and I'm already in the process of chasing a ring on the other half of that log.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Broke One Today
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 05:14:33 pm »
There are some on here that can put pretty extreme bends with dry heat on osage.I'm really not one of them either at least most times.I steam em then temper em with dry heat on the same form clamped down.
It's a kick in the gut I know but this next one will be better.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 06:03:51 pm »
Can you salvage a short bow from it?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:49:51 pm »
 Depending on how bad the crack is, it might be feasible to re glue with epoxy and clamp it back together. Need photo's.