Author Topic: Heat gun recommendations?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Heat gun recommendations?
« on: March 30, 2018, 07:49:10 am »
I am considering buying a heat gun to heat treat limbs and bend wood. In the past I have heated over my electric stove, so a heat gun will be a new thing for me. Anyone have recommendations on brands to buy, or to avoid? I would rather keep my spending moderate, but if I have to spend $100 to end up with something that will work well and last, I am willing to do it.

I searched around and found a thread with a similar question from 2007, but that was over 10 years ago so I thought I would ask again.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Heat gun recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:53:13 am »
IMO, a cheapo one is as good as any...
They will all fail if not positioned carefully nozzle up whilst cooling to allow the heat to escape without melting the innards. The fan can easily distort with the heat and the motors can become noisy. I expect even expensive ones will have the same potential failure mode.
A temperature control is nice, but it's more about how close you have it to the work and how long you leave it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:01:46 am »
I painted houses for 20 years, used a lot of heat guns. I would not spend a hundred bucks on one. You can get a Wagner at Lowes for less than 30 bucks and its all you need. I had one I used as a heater in walk in closets for a couple years until it grew legs and walked off. The porter cables work fine as well. The fancy ones with all the heat settings and such were no better in my opinion.  Its just a hair dryer on steroids after all.
What Del said times two on the positioning.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:17:13 am »
  I like the Master heat gun, the models range from about $90.00 to $130.00. No need to cool them when you turn them off is a big reason as well as being tough. Parts are easy to get if you need them and not too expensive. They have a higher fan setting as well. They will last for decades.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 08:18:05 am »
I like the cheap wagner.  I'm still using one that I bought almost 10 years ago. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 08:20:36 am »
I like the cheap wagner.  I'm still using one that I bought almost 10 years ago.
Exactly!
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 08:29:57 am »
I use the Wagner also. If you look in the manual there are different nozzles that can be ordered, a slotted one, and a round one with about a 1/2 " hole.  I think they help to keep the heat from traveling around onto the back of the bow.  They are not expensive either.
 DO stand it up when cooling though like what was said.
     Steve

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:58:33 pm »
I recently used a Milwaukee brand gun. Best gun I ever tried and will be the next one I buy.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 03:13:55 pm »
Jon, I picked up an older Milwaukee heat gun a while back and it is identical to the wagner.  It just has a different name printed on it.  I'm not sure if the new ones are like that.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 03:33:04 pm »
I still have and use the first and only one I ever bought, a Black and Decker. I've dropped it several times and never babied  it or turned it a certain way when I shut it off. It's at least 20 years old and has been used hundred of times.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 03:40:16 pm »
I've had an old wagner.Long long time usage.Still kickin!!!It's got a high and a low.Usually always I use the high.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 04:12:25 pm »
Clint I have a wagner and it is not even close to being the gun that milwaukee is. It was not the same as my wagner.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 04:22:27 pm »
I went to ace and bought the cheaper of the two that they had. That was 8 years ago and it’s still going strong
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 04:44:26 pm »
I have the Wagner it's adjustable heat temp knob on the back of it I like it !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 08:27:54 pm »
I've been using a cheap Wagner for ten years and it's still going strong. I haven't been particularly kind to it either. I'll get another if/when it dies.