Author Topic: Elm sapling bow (bows)  (Read 11794 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Elm sapling bow
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 12:18:54 pm »
Asked,  real nice bow, has a lot of character!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Aksel

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 01:49:32 pm »
Hi Mark, usually if the stave is on the long side I try and lay it out so the string will run down the centre, if there is a curve in the stave I make sure the nock won't be in the middle of that curve. see image for example of another similar bow. Or I shape the tips of the bow to reach more for one side. Or carve out the handle more on one side to make the string more centered. If the string isn't perfectly in the centre I am usually ok with it - as long as the string lies over the handle. But if the stave is bent like a banana I steam bend it, handle and, or the tips. But like Pat B says, sometimes its hard to tell until the bow is stringed. Good luck!
Stoneagebows

Offline Mark Russell

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 02:03:47 pm »
I don’t want to hijack this thread. I’ll try to take some pics and start a thread to get some advice. Thanks for the tips though. Again - nice bow.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 02:44:39 pm »
Mark, I know I ain't him, but as I mentioned I make a lot of similar bows: flatbows from white wood saplings.

One important difference to know is how the tree grew vs how the stave dried.   For a 6 year old elm sapling, every year has been different, and there is alwaya a lot of reaction wood from wind, new growth shifting its branch load, changing shade and sun, etc.  So, esp if you dry them quickly, they do tend to warp into high reflex and often lean way to one side, too.  This is the result of it trying to grow straight under pressure, RESISTING various pressures.  When I cut a sapling, I often leave it whole and unpeeled until I really want it, then clamp or it down to dry once I rough it out.  Gives me a better starting point, but you can either steam or dry heat them straighter, later.  Just more work.

The crook in his bow came with the tree.  It didn't dry that way, it grew that way, and while Aksel COULD have straightened it more with heat, it's harder to do because the tree IS that way (plus he wanted to leave it).  So it looks cool.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 07:00:47 pm »
Nice looking bow

Offline Morgan

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 11:43:17 pm »
Outstanding work on that crooked sapling!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 11:52:34 pm »
 I like the table top flat belly on that sapling...You got all that stave would offer...Nice work, you let the wood talk...
                                                                                                                                        Don
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:49:52 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 06:05:01 am »
Lovely sapling bow with nice character! Have to try those nocks myself sometime :laugh:

Offline M2A

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 07:16:16 am »
Very nice! Lots of character, great job!
Mike

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 09:05:10 am »
 Very interesting bow! I would love to try a European bow design like this. I wonder what wood would be appropriate and found around the K.C. area ?

Again, very impressed,
Greg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 11:55:49 am »
Greg,
I'm not in that area any more, but you got, hickory, ash, oaks, Osage, sassafras, black locust, a variety of nut and fruit trees, and probably some exotics that I have forgotten about.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Aksel

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 12:13:25 pm »
Thanks everyone for all your nice comments ! I will continue and post sapling bows in this thread as they come along. Working on a few pieces of sapling elm, one is 67 inches long in a slight deflex/reflex profile and I will post my progress here on that stave. Here is this afternoons work in pictures. Any comments questions or suggestions are welcome!
Stoneagebows

Offline Aksel

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 12:18:58 pm »
tools
Stoneagebows

Offline Aksel

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 12:23:44 pm »
working belly of the bow and inner bark on the back
Stoneagebows

Offline Aksel

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 12:30:21 pm »
Shaping the handle with my carpenters axe. It is light, has a very thin blade, straight edge and straight handle and is superior for working dry wood.
Stoneagebows