Author Topic: Elm sapling bow (bows)  (Read 11793 times)

Offline Aksel

Elm sapling bow (bows)
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:07:20 pm »
Hi all, here is the first bow I have made in a while and first one ever on this forum. Been making bows since 2005 and have experimented with different styles but I always come back to the simple sapling bows inspired by the north European stone age finds such as Holmegård, tybrind Vig, Ring Kloster etc etc.  This is Wych Elm, Ulmus Glabra. 67 inches ntn, 45@28 from a less than 2 inch sapling so it has a very high crown but Wych elm can take it without taking much set or break or chrysal. Sealed with Pine resin varnish and beeswax. Working on a few bows of similar style so might post a few more later

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:55:00 pm by Aksel »
Stoneagebows

Offline JWMALONE

Re: Elm sapling bow
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:09:27 pm »
That's a nice bow, excellent work.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:10:50 pm »
Very cool character bow, Aksel. I love sapling bows. They are probably closer the ancient bows than what most folks make these days.  :OK
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:50:34 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 06:13:42 pm »
DUDE!  Gorgeous.  That type is one of my favorite bows to make.  I use a lot of elm and ash saplings, too, even very small like that and I love doing it.  Yours has that impressive crook in the limb, too!  Looks good.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 06:13:55 pm »
Very nice bow. That definitely captures the essence of the early bows. Great to see the old european styles. Are you using tied on nocks for the string? Thank you for posting and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Kyle

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:21:16 pm »
I love it.  Really nice looking bow.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 06:48:25 pm »
Thanks all! Yes nocks are just a piece of leather folded and tied on, keeps tip-weight down, it's practical and possible to change draw-weight and tiller by changing their position if needed. Was re-working a couple of old bows outside in -10 C (14 F) and was shocked when I checked draw weight and they had gained something like 10 lbs! So if hunting in a cold climate, lowering draw weight could be another advantage of tie on nocks. 

Stoneagebows

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 10:43:09 pm »
Aksel, do you think that is just caused by the cold, or the dry air the cold brings.  My bows pick up weight in winter, but I don't think 10 lbs!

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 11:02:18 pm »
That is awesome. Never could imagine that bows like that can come from a 2" sapling.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 03:35:04 am »
Cool... well damn freezing from the look of it. ;D
Clean and simple  :)
Nice pics too
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 03:57:27 am »
Springbuck, I suspect it is the cold because the bows gained weight so suddenly when the temperature dropped  but i might be wrong... maybe both?
Stoneagebows

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 08:08:18 am »
Cool bow from a challenging piece of wood. Great tiller and profile.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:13:35 am »
Good example of a primitive bow.Keeping it simple.Nice work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mark Russell

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 10:38:35 am »
That is absolutely stunning in it's clean simplicity.  When working with character like that, do you have to "hope" the string goes through the center of the handle, or can you "tweak" it to do that?

I'm new to this and working on my first bow from an elm sapling (3").  Roughed out, it has a slight "steady" curve from tip to tip (side to side).  I'm trying to figure if steam or heat would work better.

Anyway, that bow is beautiful - great job.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 10:54:33 am »
Mark, get your bow to first brace then decide where the adjustments need to or can be made. In some cases you can't get to first brace, then you can make an adjustment but not until you are at brace will you really be able to tell how the string tracks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC