Author Topic: What kind of lights does everyone use in their shops?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

What kind of lights does everyone use in their shops?
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:46:42 pm »
Hello everyone, My question and discussion for today is what type of shop light does everyone use. The older i get and the less my eyes work like they used to i am in search for a better light to help my eyes out. I noticed the last couple of bare bows i did with no skins and backing i am seeing some spots where i didnt get the scraping lines out of the back. This is with intense sanding and burnishing. They dont usually appear until i have a few coats of finish on them. I was wondering does anyone have a light or a trick to see the scraping marks before its too late? I usually pick the bow up and turn it at different angles to try and see rough spots. I thought about mounting a light on the side wall of bench but i thought i would ask what everyone else uses. Right now i rely on florescent shop light directly above bench.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: What kind of lights does everyone use in their shops?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:55:04 am »
Whenever I replace any light fittings in the house, I re-use 'em in the workshop... can't have too many lights. Mostly florescents  but I keep some old filament buds to put it to my moveable workbench lamp, when I need some warmth of some epoxy etc.
Can't beat natural light especially when finishing. Spring is on the way (or so I've been promised)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 03:38:43 am »
I avoid ambient light, using a single strong light above my window so the lighting direction over my bench remains constant. I don't use flourescents as they give me a head ache. A single light source highlights high spots and hollows by casting strong shadows. I even shut the door to prevent side lighting when doing finish work

Offline Will B

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:09:35 am »
I used to have two bulb, four-foot long fluorescent shop lights in my shop.  I switched them out with four-foot LED shop lights and am very pleased with the improved quality of the lighting.  I highly recommend them as well as natural lighting.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 06:12:57 am »
Wipe it down with some paint thinner or alcohol and shine a really good flashlight on it. I do that when refinishing furniture, work great. Got a buddy that uses a big giant magnifying lamp with a light, that should work great for something the size of a bow, just for checking the finish sanding before you start the finish.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:11:38 am »
I use LED, but I always look the bow over in natural daylight, that will tell you the most.
Eric

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:13:37 am »

I used to have two bulb, four-foot long fluorescent shop lights in my shop.  I switched them out with four-foot LED shop lights and am very pleased with the improved quality of the lighting.  I highly recommend them as well as natural lighting.

x10
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 08:43:08 am »
Currently I have 4' fluorescent lighting.  This summer I plan on switching over to LED bulbs.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ksnow

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 09:16:28 am »
Same here as Outlaw.  I have two, double bulb 4 foot fluorescent fixtures right over my shavehorse/bench area. I plan to switch to LED's soon.  Before finishing I always check the bow over in natural light.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:29:25 am »
I'm in the same boat as you. Try as I might I still end up with a tool mark or two. Now I treat the first couple of coats of finish as a test. I fully expect to sand off a few spots. The best way to find imperfections is to finish it. Just go with that. Probably easier a cheaper than changing out all the lights. I use Minwax Tung oil. Dries quickly, sands easy and matches well well you miss a mark.

Offline pnwarcher

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 09:59:07 am »
Same as Will and Pearl for me. I have four sets of dual-tube 4ft LED shop lights. Cool white 4100K with good color-rendering index. I also use a couple 100W-equivalent bulbs in those aluminum reflector fixtures for task lighting and under-lighting to minimize shadows when using the tillering tree.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 10:45:36 am »
Thank you everyone.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 12:27:36 pm »
I have switch over to almost all 4' LED fixtures in the working area, with 2 hung over the bow bench, and 2 sort of flanking it, as well as 2 moveable reflector LEDs over the table saw.  Haven't figured out how to convert the old fixtures to led yet.  I think I have 2 more to switch out.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 06:50:00 pm »
All LED, way to go in my opinion.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 07:13:27 pm »
When I made the switch over I found stuff in my shop I never knew existed  :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.