Author Topic: How's the tiller look ?  (Read 9776 times)

Offline John K

How's the tiller look ?
« on: March 26, 2008, 06:03:05 pm »
Hi all!  Just wanted to get your take on how the tiller looks on this hard maple bow. Thanks for looking.  Remember this is the first one that hasn't broke on me.
Thanks, John

The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline n2everythg

Re: How's the tiller look ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 06:40:42 pm »
Hay john Congrads! looks pretty good.
I broke my first 3 or 4 or otherwise screwed them up bad so ur not alone.
Now just my opinion and realize that I dont know beans. Only have made 2 shooter bows so far but this is what I think of your tiller.
Looks good at brace height.
But I think you got a bit of a hinge at the arrows and need to take a few more scrapes off at the dot areas.
on the other hand... if you are at your weight and if she flings an arrow... go shoot 'er and have fun... first bows are a sense of accomplishment... good job.

but like I said im a newbie... sure others will pipe in here with more opinions...

N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:41:04 pm »
well i'm pretty new to this yet so you might want to wait for the more experienced and knowledgible ones to speak up.
however i would half to say that both limbs could bend more right after the handle area more for about the next 8-10 inches,but like i said i'm still pretty new and ignorant at this.
good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:05:32 pm »
Well I'm not so new, but still pretty ignorant.  I think N2 is pretty darn close on his assessment. I would Mark the hinge on the left limb so you don't take any more wood off there then work the areas on either side.  I don't really see a hinge on the right, but it could definitely use more bend on the inner part toward the fades.  The right limb also seems to be bending a little farther than the left. You are doing really good, just stay away from that 2-3" area on the left limb. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:29:16 pm »
John are you supposed to be playing with bows at work :o I would never do that ::)
What n2 and justin said, how long is the bow if ya get a little light you can pike it a few inches
also an unbraced picture will help. Your doing good so far John just remember to take yer time eh :)
Dats good Yooper wood there :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:42:50 pm »
 John..................I think its a great bow fer the first that hasnt broken. Yer skills will improve at a rapid pace. Maybe like the other guys said the left limb either side of where the hinge is forming. A few scrapes thats it. Leave right limb alone. Enjoy the bow good job .........bob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:38:08 pm »
This way always helps Me nail the problem areas....hope that it will help You too...

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:44:47 am »
In the first full draw picture, too much bend a foot above your hand and a foot from the string nocks in the lower limb. You need a tillering gizmo to tell you where to remove wood.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 01:51:39 am »
In the first full draw picture, too much bend a foot above your hand and a foot from the string nocks in the lower limb. You need a tillering gizmo to tell you where to remove wood.

Yeah get you one of these....they work great!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:44:09 am »
as much as you could take off with a spoke shave or draw knife.... i like to use 400 grit sand paper and work reeeeeeaaaaaal slow it keeps the breakage down... and it can help cut down on time to burnishing
death by natural causes

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 05:39:48 am »
I think N2 pretty well nailed it, your basic shape is pretty good but need to smooth out the stiff and hingy spots,  Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 06:52:44 am »
I also think n2 hit it pretty close,Top limb looks a little stiff 2/3 toward the tip and the bottom
about 2/3 toward the handle.Go slow and just a few scraps at a time and exercise 30-40 times in between. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:36:52 pm »
Hay Yankee... where did you get that elliptical circle thingie...
how did you make that... I like it. nice way to tell what you are shooting for.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:42:23 pm »
Well I'm not so new, but still pretty ignorant.  I think N2 is pretty darn close on his assessment. I would Mark the hinge on the left limb so you don't take any more wood off there then work the areas on either side.  I don't really see a hinge on the right, but it could definitely use more bend on the inner part toward the fades.  The right limb also seems to be bending a little farther than the left. You are doing really good, just stay away from that 2-3" area on the left limb. Justin

I second the motion.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 01:03:50 pm »
Thanks everyone for you'r input. I took N2's advice and took a little off where the dots were. It pulls 55#'s @ 29inches the over all length is 70 1/2 ttt. I'm going to shoot it tonight for the first time, I can't wait !

I have BBB real bad now ( bow builders brain )  ;D

I like the looks of that tillering gizmo, i think i need to make one, i was just using my leather man closed running it along the inside of the limb looking for flat spots.....

I'll post for pics when i get it shot in and stained.

Thanks John
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:15:10 pm by formerbutcher »
The only way to fail is to never start !