Author Topic: Homemade cabinet scraper holder?  (Read 3581 times)

Offline gfugal

Homemade cabinet scraper holder?
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:04:23 pm »
Anybody build their own cabinet scraper holder? I've been using my scraper for a little bit and my thumbs are getting real sore. I'm double-jointed in my thumbs so maybe that's a cause of my pain or maybe I'm just week and I need to get used to it. But I thought I might as well see if somebody's built their own and maybe I could do it as well. If you have please share a picture and how you made it
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Homemade cabinet scraper holder?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 12:11:14 pm »
Greg,
I will get a picture of the one I bought at Woodcraft.  It doesn't hold the scraper firmly, but I think the idea is good.  I use my Buck hunting hunting knife, which seems to work well.
Hawksancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:30:47 pm »
I more or less copied Dean Torges. It doesn't hold a cabinet scraper but it works great and I can use it no mater how much my hands hurt.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:42:04 pm »
AaronH made this great lil scraper holder. Contact him if interested.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:19:55 pm »
There are several lovely designs on line if you do an image search. The design above works great if you put a pair of grub screws through the front to hold the scraper blade

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:25:39 pm »
AaronH made this great lil scraper holder. Contact him if interested.

Nice thing about this one is it won't damage the string up by the tips so quickly removing material while it's braced if it's a wider type scraper that is.I've got a scraper like this one too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 03:45:53 pm »
  This is not exactly what you asked, but I have used a couple dozen things as scrapers over the years, and one of the least fatiguing was a utility knife blade with a small handle.   We used them with the scouts, for instance.

I take a little 2"+ length of 1/2" dia. dowel or something, saw a slot lengthwise and epoxy in the blade. Then just rub the blade to one side forming a hook, like you would to turn a hook on a cabinet scraper, but only on one side.

You can only drag it one direction, but the bulge of the little handle is easier to hold without a death grip.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 12:05:42 pm »
Here's the commercial one from Woocraft.  I think I like the others better, this one doesn't secure the scraper very well
.https://i.imgur.com/iyvymcF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 12:18:22 pm »
Veritas makes a really high quality metal one but it will cost you about $50  at Lee Valley.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:00 pm »
I just got the Veritas holder a few weeks ago. I really like it. It comes with a scraper so that helped take some of the sting away from the price tag. It was worth it for me. I get sore joints from too much scraping.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 10:53:47 pm »
I have one of Aaron's scrapers too and really like the way it works.  Like Ed, I work on bows while they are strung, and you have to be careful what you use.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 07:45:41 am »
Made this one some 20 years ago out of Elm, the blades are for a jointer.  I've worn almost 1/4" from the wood over the years

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 09:10:43 am »
Mark,

I have been meaning to file a more of a bevel on my scraper. Do you roll your hook towards the bevel side or the backside?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 09:21:42 am »
No rolling for me, I sharpen mine just like you would a jointer blade.  With heavy pressure I can take off material at a good rate or very little with light pressure.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 10:40:21 am »
I've tried retempered files and old saw blades in mine but yesterday I cut up an old pair of those cheap plastic handled scissors and used that for a blade. I worked great just with the dull factory edge. I touched it up and even on knots it just glides right through. I don't know what kind of steel it is but it's very hard, a file won't touch it, but it doesn't seem brittle.