Author Topic: HOW MANY BOWS DID YOU MAKE ?  (Read 19176 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: HOW MANY BOWS DID YOU MAKE ?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 01:46:32 pm »
Maybe 30?  Half of those in the past 12 months.....and about half of those are kid's bows.  I think I may reach 100 bows in a year or two?   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 01:56:32 pm »
Hm, started in November 06 with a Black Locust that survived.
since than I finished six of which three survived but only one (bamboo backes maple) is performing ok.
Currently I'm working on four (sinew backed locus, rawhide backed osage, rawhide backed locust and an osage selfbow which is almost finish).

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Slivershooter

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 02:32:54 pm »
I have built around 60 bows, plus or minus five bows.  I have settled into making four or five each year.  I would probably build four or five times that amount if I didn't spend so much time on the computer.  Also, I watch/teach four or five people to build bows each winter.

Walt Francis

Offline Gordon

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »
Manny, I haven’t made a lot of bows because it takes me so dog-gone long to build one. I am constantly amazed at how quickly some of the folks on this site can crank them out. If I ever had to make bows to support myself I would be living in poverty. :-X

Also I don’t count all the bows that I discard, and I have had my fair share of those. But I do think I learn as much from my failures as from my successes so I don’t let those bother me much.
Gordon

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 02:54:24 pm »
   After reading this thread I feel like we should all give each other a big group high five and slaps on the back. All of us have been contributing and posting pics and experience for years now. Young relatively new bowyers hitting their 10th bow are building bows as good as I can. I remember how a lot of us use to struggle, My first bows were shocky and slow but very rewarding. I see guys now on their third bow and they are real hunting weapons. This sight has been a real good thing for primitive archery. Steve

Offline bowmo

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 03:57:52 pm »
50 or 60...

not bad for 4 years...

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 04:37:01 pm »
lost count a couple years ago.  i'm guessing somewhere between 60-70.  i seem to have too many hobbies here lately to work on bows.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 04:49:11 pm »

finished between 25 and 30 bows, just like manny and gordon (which really surprised me to hear!)
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline richpierce

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2008, 04:53:38 pm »
Just getting started.  I built one bow 6 years ago without knowing anything and it snapped.  Since September I have made 6 and all are surviving so far.  Biggest challenge right now is hitting my target weight with good tiller.  One of my favorites is a "one day bow".  Start it in the morning and shoot it before sunset.

I expect I'll make 50 or so.  That should cover the designs I want to try.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2008, 05:07:27 pm »
   After reading this thread I feel like we should all give each other a big group high five and slaps on the back. All of us have been contributing and posting pics and experience for years now. Young relatively new bowyers hitting their 10th bow are building bows as good as I can. I remember how a lot of us use to struggle, My first bows were shocky and slow but very rewarding. I see guys now on their third bow and they are real hunting weapons. This sight has been a real good thing for primitive archery. Steve
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I agree with Steve. GOOD FER ALL OF US ! I am lucky I was taught by the elders in the tribe ta do it starting at 8 years old cause I showed an interest in the ole' ways.That dosent mean I became proficient at huntin' weapons right off. Why would they do that ? Like Grandfather said "Ammo costs money and ifn ya aint got any what ya gonna do..........starve and die ?" ;D How many..I honestly have no idea I lost count years ago. Like Steve says "THIS SITE HAS BEEN A REAL GOOD THING FOR PRIMITIVE ARCHERY.".................bob
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:37:37 pm by Coo-wah-chobee »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2008, 05:35:44 pm »
Of the ones I took the time to make a note of, this covers most of the ones I have made, I am up to 113 and working on 114 and 115. I made 40 before I would take pictures of dead presidents for one, sorta' a self imposed apprenticeship. I am slowing down a good bit and will probably make around 10 this year.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2008, 06:08:33 pm »
I think about 80 or a little more since 1996. The first years of bowbuilding I have build a lot but then I slow down (only one bow in 2001) and now I'm at the stage of may be 6-8 bows a year. But with every new bow I learn a little more... ;) and I enjoys to have a look on your new bows, that's truly inspiration!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 07:45:29 pm »
I built one really pretty piece of firewood... :'(..but searching for the next victim ...  ;D  Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Keenan

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 09:01:18 pm »
I wonder what the count would be if we totalled all the bows that Oldbow has done for the BOM,,,Stagering I'm sure ;)  Keenan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »
I wonder what the count would be if we totalled all the bows that Oldbow has done for the BOM,,,Stagering I'm sure ;)  Keenan
That ought to be around 400 this year alone.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah