Author Topic: HOW MANY BOWS DID YOU MAKE ?  (Read 19177 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

HOW MANY BOWS DID YOU MAKE ?
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:12:36 pm »
I had this thread running a couple of years ago, and I was astaunded by the number of bows some like Steve and Marc did,..in the 1000's :o :o

...Well  just want to see where you guys are at, I'm not moving to fast, working on my 27th  at the moment.

one thing that POPE wrote will always stick in my brain, "untill you make 100 bows you're a novice"...I have to totally agre with him, and that elusive number 100 is what I wanna write on one of my bows one day,...but it's gonna take time, of course ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: HOW MANY BOWS DID YOU MAKE ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:33:05 pm »
Somewhere around a couple of hundred survivors, Manny. More if you count tomato stakes. Probably double that. Manny, you are no novice. This winter I made myself one. Helped some others with theirs. Gonna build my wife another one too. Better hurry up fishing season starts soon and I just bought myself a 4 weight fly rod. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:40:31 pm »
19 keepers....Manny....not including the 5 in the Corner...and the three I burned ...because they just Pissed me off to no end!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:43:55 pm »
I have no idea really-probably 30, 40???
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:07:21 am »
working on my third
one lived so far
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:09:42 am »
I lost track a long time ago. In the early days, I'd crank out 3 bows in a week but most of them where nothing to brag about as long as they flung a arrow thats all I cared about then........ Now its more like 5 or 6 a year seems like but I've become much more fussy about details . I'd be totaly guessing but I'd say Ive probally passed the one hundred mark some time ago.  ;D I'm still just a novice though....... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:18:57 am »
I'm up around a dozen or so now (I think). Have three shooters at the house and a couple abroad - think I have at least a dozen in the works though :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:20:55 am »
 One or two ;D ;D  Manny I have to agree Jawge  You are no novice. I think that theory is true for some but not for all. Some peoples ability to  grasp concepts and read the wood comes naturally and they are off and running from the start. You are one of those bowyers. We all have different giftings and abilities and some things come natural and some things are struggles and it varies from person to person.
 Some will dive right iinto new areas trying new woods and new styles and others will make the same safe wood and design for years. Niether right or wrong just different.
  For some they will make alot of mistakes on there first attempt and remember the lesons for life and others will make one mistake per bow and it might take 200 to gett the skills honed in.
 But all in all it's great food for thought and I still consider myself a rooky ;D   Keenan

Offline NTProf

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 12:24:00 am »
I have been building since January, and have 5 so far.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:30:21 am »
21 that still work.  Do I get to count the ones that I wasn't happy with so I kept tweeking until they broke, like the hickory recurve sitting in my garage just waiting to meet its doom?  How about the willow bow, I was never happy so I never bothered to put a finish on it.  ;D If it doesn't get a finish on it I dont count it.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:32:04 am »
umm...I've made about 20-25 bows, but only about half of them are ones I would want to bring to a shoot of any kind.  ;D
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

PK

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 12:41:16 am »
14, 4 broke in the beginning 3 fretted I kept 3 and gave the rest for gifts.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 01:17:32 am »
3 or 4... ;) ;) ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:39:50 am »
I've been building wood bows since the late 1980's. Like Ryan, I quit counting long ago. I'm sure its over 100 but most of the early bows were badly bent; not broke mind you but BADLY BENT! ;D I have probably built less than 50 hunt worthy bows.   
   Manny, Your winning(by tying yourself) that BOM was proof that you are no novice! And if that ain't enough, take a good look at both bows. 8)  Keenan hit the nail on the head. Some of us(ya'll) pick it up right off the bat and others of us take a while for it to sink in.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 01:53:42 am »
Started last spring and have made 10 so far. Of those, 3 of the first 5 were junk. I broke a couple also. Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.