Author Topic: Tiller help, please  (Read 4781 times)

Offline DC

Re: Tiller help, please
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 10:50:35 am »
I bought a mirror for the shop. Cost $10 Can.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 11:56:00 am »
Off to flea market row!  I'm sort of looking for some splitting wedges and an anvil, too
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 07:39:01 pm »
Not sure  I'm making progress, but it looks like the tiller is more even.  Seems like a lot more scraping to get to the next tiller.  Pulling about 45# at this step, the floor tiller seems to getting closer.  Any advice is appreciated!  There is a big bump on the right limb (lower?) and still need some work on the handle and fades.  I have left the back alone.  Leveling is done across the handle with a line level.
https://i.imgur.com/w5gOzVl.jpg
Hawksancer
Jerry

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 08:23:27 pm »
Hawkdancer, looking a bit better,  but........what is your intended draw weight?

Do you understand what PearlDrums and Badger were trying to say?  Floor tillering is its own skill, and I didn't get it at first, but ESPECIALLY when drawn on a tree, NEVER pull the bow past the intended draw weight.  If you want a 50 lb bow, DON"T PULL IT TO 85 LBS!  Attach your longstring and ONLY exert 55Lbs of pressure on that string.

If that bends the limbs ONE INCH, fine!  Make whatever adjustments you can see, and/or lighten the limb, but don't pull it farther or harder.  If that's not enough bend to help you see anything, keep lightening the limbs SLOWLY until you CAN see.  If you don't do this, your bow will suck.  It'll take lots of set.

Lots of guys use a spring scale for this.  I have an old set of barbell weights I can stack on a bar, the bar has a hook for the string, and my pulley is installed ABOVE my tree so I can stand back and watch the weights pull the string.

Next, I recommend getting a rasp to go with your scraper.  One methodical way to remove enough, but not too much, wood is to take the whole belly and mark it up with crayon or pencil.  Then RASP off all the pencil.  Then SCRAPE off all the rasp marks.  Then check for any high or uneven spots.  Then check the bow on the tree.  Each time you do this sequence will remove a couple pounds of weight.  It sounds like just scraping is slow going for you.

Once your limbs are moving 3-4" at the 50 lb pull, you will be able to see better what needs correction.  Mark what is stiff, and what is bending.  Like before, color in the stiff spots, rasp the pencil away, scrape the rasp marks smooth, feel for high spots or uneven spots, and check it on the tree.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 09:16:46 pm »
I am trying to get the floor tiller down pt, comparing to my 46# Osage, and my 45# fg, still not there yet, but I did get the message on the overdraw, and I am trying to watch that closely.  My target wt. is 45-50# preferably closer to 45#.  Been using pencil mark as a guide, but don't really trust the rasp quite yet at this stage!  Thanks.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 07:40:14 pm »
I'm gaining on it, maybe!  Trying to get the weight down to go to the next peg hole, still trying to get a more even bend, but the measurements at the 1/3 marks are very close

https://i.imgur.com/JHVaeUp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Jerry