Author Topic: Osage sapling  (Read 953 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Osage sapling
« on: February 11, 2018, 08:32:08 pm »
Hey all. It’s been a while since I posted anything,  been crazy busy over the last year and half or so.  I had a friend give me a nice Osage sapling. It’s about 3” across and about 66” long or so. I’ve never messed around with saplings before. What do you all suggest on design?  I can post pics tomorrow if y’all need to see the sapling. I would appreciate any help on the matter. Thanks in advance. Rim
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Osage sapling
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:05:01 pm »
 Your going to have some crown, bendy D comes to mind...Is it dry
                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:42:50 pm »
Can you  saw it in half lengthwise? If so you'll have 2 staves.  With saplings I usually just taper the last 8" to 12" and leave the rest parallel. Osage can take the high crown but make the belly flat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 11:05:59 pm »
  That's exactly what I'd do, too.   How much wood will you have once you chase a ring?  BITH following the crown on the back sounds like a great choice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:16:16 pm »
Don't chase a ring if it not big enough. The sapwood on the back will work too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC