Author Topic: Brand new member building first board bow. Hello all.  (Read 7765 times)

Kenro

Brand new member building first board bow. Hello all.
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:58:47 pm »
Hello all,
 For those that dont know me from other trad archery sites my name is Ken Rohloff I live in Krakow WI. with my wife and 4 year old daughter. I started building lam bows a little over a year ago and now hope to graduate on to something a little more challenging. Which brings me to your primitive archery forum where Im hopeing to learn a little more before I get myself in over my head. Im sort of already in the middle of my first one and kind of know what to do with it but not really, as if that makes any sense ::)
Anyhow,I will check back in and check to see what some of you may have to say on steps to get me where I need to go and show progress as it comes together.
I will say that Badger has already helped me so much that I cant thank him enough. The guy is some sort of wood wizzard!!
 Kenro

I guess next step is to get it to start bending, eh?

Ag09

Re: Brand new member building first board bow. Hello all.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:25:14 pm »
I guess next step is to get it to start bending, eh?

Think you gotta cut some nocks first  :D

But, from one newbie to another not-so-newbie, yes I would think you start bending now and seeing what needs to be shaved down to get what you want for your final draw. 

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:08:21 pm »
Start with floor tillering. work the wood where it needs to bend more, then put the tip of the limb on the floor. apply pressure and watch the bend. get the limbs bending evenly about 4 in or so, the proceed to a long string and a tillering board.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:46:53 pm »
Welcome to PA Kenro glad to have ya. For a simple board bow yer getting pretty fancy there. Looks to be a laminate to me.
What woods are ya using?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Kenro

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05:24 pm »
Oh yeah, almost forgot all that. Its just a simple mild R/D that is made from two peices of hickory.  what kind of tools do you all use for rounding the belly and shaping?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:25:04 pm »
Welcome aboard, Kenro-looks like you're off to a great start. A rasp and scraper is the best combo for tillering-cross hatch the belly with pencil marks so you take wood off evenly, go over it lightly with the rasp, then scrape the rasp marks out with the scraper. Once you get it to bending good, drop the rasp and just use the scraper. Be sure to exercise it really well between wood removals-sometimes it takes some exercise for the effects of wood removal to show up. Above all go slowly-you can't put wood back on!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:31:56 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:46:46 am »
Hey Ken, good to see you made it over here. For those of you who don't know Ken he is quite an accomplished modern longbow builder and I am pleased to say has taken an interest in primitive bows now. Ken is also hosting the second annual walk the talk bow shooting event that will be testing out bows from anyone that sends them in, as far as I know I am the only primitive bowyer sending in a bow but anyone is welcome to participate. In the last event our wood bows made a respectable showing against the fastest modern bows in the world. So any of you guys who want to try out a bow send Ken an instant message. Steve

Bishop

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 01:07:52 am »
Welcome Kenro, this is a good place to be.
Bishop

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 01:13:02 am »
Ken, I glued one up this morning, just about like yours so will be tillering it out togteher. Before I glued mine up I reduced the belly stave and the backing to a total of 24 oz and the bow should finish around 21 oz. I took it out of the clamps a few minutes ago and it has a nice flex to it. Going to start tillering it out in the morning. I will just be using a scraper on this one. Steve

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:22:26 am »
Hoo,...  the beauty of bending wood ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Kenro

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 01:53:11 am »
Hillbilly,
 Good advice, I totally get what you mean by using the rasp, penciling in and then the scraper. I do something simmilar when I do gel work on boats.
 To all here, Steve was the one who inspired my whole lam bow design from all his wood bow building theorys. I lurked and listened in on all his posts for a long time before ever chatting with him and then when I finally did I was pretty excited to tell him what I did and how well it worked! He always tells me he knows nothing about lam bows but I tell him he has already built dozens of them, just with me going through the motions. But this is really going to be fun, I can tell. I cant wait for next hunting season already when I get to take an all wood primitive bow into the woods.
 I did make a little progress tonight. I rounded off the back real nice and then started on the belly. Still a long way to go as I tried to flex it but it still takes quite a bit, but it is starting. I just thru in a few pics of the progress. Will probably file some grooves and start with long stringing it tomorrow or next day.(BTW, I have no clue about what I just said) ??? I can tell this is a good group of people here. Thanks all for the help I really appriciate any helpfull hints and advice

still quite stiff and takes a bit of leaning on it to get it to bend.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 01:59:20 am »
Welcome Kenro, That is looking sweet and I'm sure that with Badger's guidence it will be a great shooter. He's a great bowyer and there are many more on here that will be more then happy to help with your journeys of many more bows.  Keenan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 02:33:48 am »
I am assuming you sanded the back really good.  I could see saw marks in the backing and that is the first thing I would address before I tried to bend it.  Sand it as smooth as a babies butt and you wont have any issues. Welcome to PA.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 07:49:50 am »
Welcome to PA Kenro,can't help you much is composite bow ,but maybe you can teach me something.Glad to have you here.With Badger on you side you shouldn't need much help.  ;) :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good