Author Topic: American Elm Bow  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Badger

Re: American Elm Bow
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 05:22:52 pm »
  Good looking bow, I liked where you flipped the tips. Try a draw knife on the elm next time, I know what you are talking about with the interlocking grain and elm is tough anyway.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 06:39:43 pm »
Thanks everyone. I have to decide what’s next. I’ve got two or three Osage staves, some white ash, lots of buckthorn, about a barn full of ironwood, but I’m most excited about some beautiful yellow birch i cut during gun deer season. There’s probably six staves atleast in those logs. But it feels like I should let nature season the birch at least until mid summer. I have some well seasoned ironwood. I guess that’s probably the logical choice. I’ll post more. I just have to figure out how get a little higher resolution on the pics next time. I used my iPhone to resize them and there’s prob a better way on my desk top. My best and love this site.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 06:44:02 pm »
Jackpineboyz if you really want a bow i could hook you up. Message me, I’ve taken a shine to spotted cow!!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 08:58:00 pm »
Nice job on that one. 

FWIW I've found when working elm it tends to prefer the drawknife in only one direction (hadn't paid attention to if its toward base or treetop).  One way you get crazy tear-outs, the other direction works fine.