Author Topic: Bending Ocean Spray  (Read 2446 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Bending Ocean Spray
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 07:39:42 pm »
I think I've got it. If I start with a wood thickness of about 7/16" and kerf it that leaves the pieces about 3/16" each. Then if I sand the outside(belly) and round the corners thoroughly and use a backing strip I can be pretty sure of getting a decent bend. I had to just keep thinning them out until it worked. It has to work every time otherwise you throw away a lot of bows. I tried the MW once and it didn't seem to be that much different than my steamer. Once isn't a fair trial though. Sure did get hot. I measured it with my laser thermometer and it was about 250 degrees right out of the MW. If nothing else it would give you more working time.

Well if you got a steamer that gets a stave to 250 degrees in 2-3 minutes I'll switch over to steam, until then I choose to GLOW:)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 07:44:59 pm »
Maybe at the bottom of Death Valley but I doubt it. I kind of surprised me when i measured it. I put a piece of kiln dried Spruce in the MW and it got quite hot in 30 seconds. It's probably absorbed some water sitting in my shop on top of what the kiln left in it. Have you tried just dry heating something in the MW to bend it?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 08:04:45 pm »
I don't think you will find a piece that won't heat, there is always moisture content in kiln dried woods. In the northwest which we are both in, you can bet there will be a reasonable swing in MC.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.