Author Topic: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)  (Read 69640 times)

Offline Allen7

Re: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2008, 05:47:50 am »
Thanks for the compliments on the points.  However, I'm not as good on the bigger knapping stuff.   I'll put some of these new points on some primitive arrows when I get time.  I haven't finished with the "Mascot" family flakes yet.   Here is a photo of some of my primitive arrows.   Most are syringa or wild rose shafts, with wild turkey or canadian goose fletchings, Obsidian tips, and put together with deer leg sinew, hide glue , and my own ponderosa pine pitch goo.    The bottom one is one of my practice arrows with a primitive steel tip hammered out of a nail.    The top one is an example of a reed arrow: with a cattail stem main shaft, hickory foreshaft and hickory nock insert.  I've also made reed arrows out of the tall phragmites reeds.   Back when I was 12 years old in Alabama, I used to make some crude arrows using river cane, steel nail tips, and leaves for fletching.   I had forgotten about the hammered steel nail points until about 8 years ago.   They make great primitive practice points.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2008, 01:00:15 am »
How do cattail shafts work for you? They would appear to be rather light.  Them's some good looking arrows.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2008, 02:30:16 am »
Hey D. Tiller,

Dave, I sent you an email.  Did you receive it?

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Allen7

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2008, 12:50:30 pm »
I haven't shot the cattail arrows very much.   However, the ones I've shot out of my 38 - 45 lb bows did pretty well.   They are light, only weighed about 260 - 290 grains, but were fast.   You should reinforce the nock and front areas of main shaft with sinew.   Also, make the cattail main shaft to your full draw length.     I have used a variety of foreshaft material including several hardwoods, syringa, and wild rose stems.   The reed arrows are typically not as durable as other shafts, but are very functional.

Allen Minton

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2008, 01:39:55 pm »
Hey D. Tiller,

Dave, I sent you an email.  Did you receive it?

Keith

Hi Keith!

Nope, dont see that post. Whats up?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2008, 08:20:27 pm »
 Now thats what I be talking about ;D Very nice Allen. If they don't fly right for ya I'd be happy to try  ;D

Offline Allen7

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2008, 10:00:28 pm »
I often test new arrows using a slip-on rubber blunt (Bunny Buster).  Then I can decide if the arrow is OK for a permanent tip  .It works out pretty well.   I have a real odd one in my quiver.  This arrow shoots a couple feet high if you nock the arrow normal with cock feather out from handle, but if you nock it so cock feather is against the handle it shoots dead-on.     The two fletch method works pretty good using the secondary wing feathers, is relatively easy to do in a primitive setting, and only uses two feathers.

Allen

Offline Keenan

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2008, 11:20:16 am »
 A few days ago,We got out for a morning hike along the river. This is just a few miles from our house. The trail still had a bit of snow and to no surprise a few good cougar tracks as well.My wife got a little concerned when I kept making the fawn distress calls. ;D Mornings like this are a good reminder of what life is all about. ;)  Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2008, 04:56:09 pm »
Beautiful Country Keenan....sur am jealous!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2008, 04:58:04 pm »
Awesome Keenan, quite stunning :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2008, 05:05:37 pm »
Looks like a great time Keenan.  You up closer to the hill around Bend there?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2008, 05:06:53 pm »
Is that the Dechutes (?) River. In the pic with your wife and yourself, it looks like a cougar in ambush mode up above your right shoulder.  :o   Beautiful country! I love central Oregon. 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2008, 05:43:05 pm »
Pretty country Keenan.  I remember when I went fly fishing last fall in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  I was by my self and saw tons of cat tracks.  I'm not afraid to say I made sure I made lots of noise and looked up and behind me often.  :P

Allen:  Thanks for arrow info on the cattails.  I'll have to give it a try. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Keenan

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2008, 07:10:04 pm »
Thanks Guys, I do feel very blessed to live here.   
 Pat you nailed it on the head.  ;D Deschutes river just above Benham falls. And it's deffinate cat country the tend to work along the river there.
 Love being out there in the woods.I think I'd be exploring somewhere everyday if it wasn't for having to try to pay the bills and do the work thing. Isn't there a good paying job that is just wandering around exploring ???   Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2008, 08:27:39 pm »
Marcia and I ate a bowl of cereal along the Deschutes one frosty morning before going to the National Volcanic Monument then on to the High Desert Museum and Lake Paulina. Cool, cool country!  8)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC