Author Topic: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)  (Read 69641 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2008, 01:04:10 am »
Nah! Missed out on the Dacite.  I was looking for the forest green stuff but forgot where I found it arround 15 years ago when I first went out to the Buttes. Now I must go back when there is not snow on the ground and find it. Oh to have a 4x4 and cheap fuel!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Allen7

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2008, 03:23:48 am »
Gosh, I don't know where to find the dacite or the green stuff.   However, I want to go back and dig more for silver and gold sheen the pumpkin stuff.

Hey Keenan:  While at the Colyak traditional archery shoot this weekend, I managed to knap one more addition to the Mascot Family out of the discard flakes.   It was pretty tuff concentrating with folks asking a thousand questions on knapping and primitive arrows.   Anyway here is a photo of "Mascot" little brother #2 - about 2 1/2 inch silver sheen point. 

Little John:  Our standard horseback archery track is 90 meters (98 yds) long with the target array offset 9 meters (10yds) from the center of track.   Shots vary from about 50 yards to 10 yards from the targets.   A nice practice setup is to arrange 6 portable targets equally spaced along the length of track, about 10 yards out.  You can turn them for all side shots, all forward shots, all parting shots, or a combination.     --- Allen

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2008, 07:03:20 am »
Beautiful,point.Yall are having some fun,I love it. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2008, 09:14:49 am »
That's a good looking point! You guys have talent. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2008, 09:50:01 am »
Thanks Allen, and beautiful point.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2008, 10:57:34 am »
Allen, your quite a knapper - that is one great lookin point! Pretty flakes, symmetrical, notches - make about eleven more and ship em my way, I'll let ya know if they work ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2008, 12:25:26 pm »
Wow Allen, That's an awesome looking point. As said befor your napping skills are alot more refined then you let on. ;) I have to agree with Cowboy, Sign me up for a dozen of those.  ;D ;D  Keenan

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2008, 03:58:34 pm »
Allen, your quite a knapper - that is one great lookin point! Pretty flakes, symmetrical, notches - make about eleven more and ship em my way, I'll let ya know if they work ;D.

Wait a minute Paul! What did ya do with all the obsidian I mailed off to ya? I've seen your work and I know you can knapp. Making poor Allen do all the work for ya, eh? I like how you think!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2008, 05:52:43 pm »
Yeah D, I think I've developed a case of carpal tunnel syndrome working on all the shafts the last few days - won't be able to knap for months :-X :-X.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2008, 06:21:17 pm »
So, your saying ya gave yourself the shaft?!?!  ;D

I cant wait to see ya knapping at the Classic. Just a few more weeks and we are there!!!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2008, 12:54:17 am »
 Ok guys up here in the northwest, Time to crawl out of those caves and get huddled around a fire and make somethin. ;D  I don't care what ya make but the Idea here is to get together and laugh, grunt, snore or what ever you do and pass on some skills. :D Then you take lots of pics and post em on here to let the rest of the world know there are other crazy people around. ;)   Ps. Going to try a new skill out for ya Allen. ::)  Keenan

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2008, 02:19:25 am »
Nah! Missed out on the Dacite.  I was looking for the forest green stuff but forgot where I found it arround 15 years ago when I first went out to the Buttes. Now I must go back when there is not snow on the ground and find it. Oh to have a 4x4 and cheap fuel!
yeah like using MY 4x4 and MY fuel.. :D Keenan, I am somewhat dissapointed that you found the famous spall, I was hoping to find it in the bronco and hold it and your magic hat hostage for some of that hazlenut >:D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2008, 04:49:44 pm »
Ya got me Dave!  ;D So when would you like to meet out at Riley to get some of that Black Butter Dacite?  ;D  I think I will wait for it to get warmer though. The cold got to me. Still trying to find some of my toes!!!

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »
That's one sweet point, and as Cowboy said, (and he should know) the flake scars, symmetry, and notches are striking.   :o  Sounds like y'all (translation for those in the northwest...."every one of you"   ;)) had a good time

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2008, 04:11:45 am »
 Hey !  That is a beauty point.shaped just like the ones you see down around the lake beds,better looking work though,never saw alot of them with the oblique. NICE.
Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington