Author Topic: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)  (Read 69619 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2008, 10:43:03 pm »
Ok here is the spall that JJ and Tiller were giving me such a hard time about. ::) I think they are just jealous because they don't have a pre-fluted spall :D :D Now if I could just figure out how I did it and make that happen again ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2008, 01:19:17 am »
OH! MY! GOD!!!! IT'S THE PERFECT SPALL!!! 

Now guys! Have you ever seen such a PERFECT spall!

What a SPALL!!!

I call that one "A spall of the old block!!!"

just rassin ya Keenan! Its the perfect SPALL!!!  ;D ;D ;D LOL. LOL, LOL.....LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:59 am »
I knew I'd get a bite out of one of you yahoos ;D :D  Keenan

Offline Allen7

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2008, 12:13:33 am »
Keenan ,  I screamed again this weekend!  Did ya hear me?  I broke another big un from the lizard skin obsidian.   I don't know how y'all do it.   Every time I start getting a large blade/point thinned out and starting to look like something - IT BREAKS!  In contrast, I made seven nice arrowheads without much trouble out of irregular flakes.   Here is a photo of the broken one and the arrowheads I made this weekend.    From the left the first arrowhead is a nice 3 inch one out of the gold sheen rock y'all gave me, second is lizard skin point, third one is silver sheen out of the mascot boulder, and the others are from midnight lace obsidian.

Allen Minton

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2008, 12:18:51 am »
Allen, you must see Craig Ratzits video "Caught Knapping" it goes into a ton of detail on working obsidian and larger points. Looks like and ends snap there but could be wrong. Where did you hit it? On the base by any chance? Try placing the tip against your leg when working on thin bi-faces near the ends of the peice. Also, it could have been that you where putting presure on the center of the blade and slightly flexing it when you gave it a smack.

Hope that helps!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2008, 02:05:26 am »
 Allen those are sweet man. Don't beat yourself up over the big guy, It must have wanted to be a true hunter and go onto an arrow and into some venison ;D  That is one nice looking set of points. How do you like the gold sheen ??? Seems a little harder to work but sure is nice to drool over. 
 That info that Tiller gave is good info. End snaps have ruined a few for me as well.

Tiller; Bro you made some great kodos points for me with the wife on that soap. Some of the best quallity we've seen. ;) Everyone that has tried it is liking it and we are giving you some good recomemdations Bro, ;)  Keenan

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2008, 03:31:18 am »
Thanks Keenan! Remind me of your wife's name again. I am the worst with names.

The soap recipe is one we really worked on perfecting. All natural too! Just made up 8 batches for a local in this last week. Something like 4660 small 1.2 oz bars. Pain in the neck to cut and rack for drying but good for business. The thing that makes it best is the amount of olive oil we put in it and the extra moisturizing oils.  If you think the soap is cool wait till she tries the lotions!

Hate them end snaps!  Do that allot myself. One thing I have noted is get the ends thin first before moving to the centers and getting them thin. Vibration is the killer here. Anything you can do to kill vibration without putting undue stresses on the bi-face the better. Also, platform, platform and more platform work!

Keenen, Dave, Allen you guys up for finding some of that black butter Dacite around Riley sometime? Its purdy!  ;D

Offline Allen7

« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2008, 04:55:37 am »
Well, I am not sure what black butter dacite is, so don't know.   I do want to get back down there sometime this summer at Glass Buttes or maybe Riley.   The gold sheen sure is pretty, but it was hard to work clean - without ledges.   Thanks for the tips Tiller.  I thought I was trying to support things.   I think I hit that big blade towards the back on the side, when the tip broke off.     I remember how many arrowheads I used to break in half two years ago, but then things gradually got better.   I picked up some nice black obsidian just south of Riley once.    We named our young mustang gelding , "Riley".    I also named my little palomino mustang mare "Sheena", because she had such shiny golden hair.     ---- Allen

Offline Keenan

« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2008, 12:29:26 pm »
  Dave and I are going to make a few trips out there this summer when things warm up a bit ::) ::) However this morning I woke up and the yard is gone again  :-[ :-[  everytime we think it's finely melted off and gone for the year "surprise"  The real kicker is that the deadline for getting the studs off was April 1    :-\  Glad I don't have to drive around today  ;D Keenan

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2008, 12:45:27 pm »
Those are some sharp lookin points Allen - I love em! Them biguns are a whole different critter for me. Only tips I can come up with would be - always set up a good platform below center, good support (I've been playing with the spider hold). Use all your fingers and thumb on one hand to hold the peice supporting it on all sides, usually with your pinky finger on the end oposite of the one your hitting - squeeze in to apply pressure from all side then rare back and hit it - results will vary ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2008, 01:01:23 pm »
Keenan, let me know the dates and I may be able to meet you guys out there. Just love that black dacite.

Allen, I think the black stuff you have is the same that we are after.  Its found near Riley. Cool names for the horses.  Hope to see you shooting some arrows from their backs sometime!

David T

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2008, 03:11:42 pm »
 Snaps happen ! Hey you got some good looking points there.They even look to be of legal proportions.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Little John

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2008, 12:10:15 am »
Allen if I could make arrow points like that, wouldnt worry about the big ones, they wouldn't fly well any way and might not penetrate well on elk. L.O.L.

David, hope to see some real knappers in action at the classic and learn to make points and not just sharp gravel.   

Keenan, nice slall, Looks like even I might be able to do some thing with a piece like that.  Kenneth   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:18:38 am by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2008, 02:38:56 am »
See ya at the Classic John! This is going to be a hoot. You camping out there with the rest of the PA crowd?

Offline Allen7

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2008, 02:59:42 am »
Those points are just for fun.   Because of the way the hunting regs are written here, I hunt with triangular points with a stem base.   Here is example of one of my hunting points.   The only hard part is getting them symmetrical, similar size, and around 125 - 145 grains in weight.