Author Topic: Help me work this stave please.  (Read 12142 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help me work this stave please.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 09:32:47 pm »
John, I scribe a line say 5/8" down from the back, rasp at an angle to that line making a facet on each side of both limbs then remove the crown, even out the belly and check at floor tiller. If needed I will go down another 1/8", scribe another line and do as before. Once it gets bending nicely I'll go to using just a scraper.
 Start at the handle and give it full length scrapes. I usually go 20 scrapes at a time on each limb, check floor tiller then remove more wood. As the limb starts to bend you can concentrate more at mid and the outer portion of the limb. Now is a good time to cut in temporary string nocks and consider a long tiller string so you can start exercising the limbs after wood removal, look over the bending limbs and mark the stiff spots and the areas that are bending so you can adjust tiller. Never pull past desired draw weight on the tiller string while exercising and viewing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 10:16:48 pm »
Thanks Pat. So I leave the handle flat start taper at ends of handle? I made a long string with leather boots a while back. I also left the tips 3/4 so I have room to adjust later, can I cut some temp nocks in it like you did in your ALB build along. These are the diamond shape tips so cut them shallow to start I'm guessing. Ive got a mark on the limbs to follow. I was carefull to keep it in line with any deviations along the back. But its still to stiff for floor tiller. But its going pretty well I think.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 12:33:35 pm »
Thar she bends! Not much but she bends. Its still pretty thick say 3/4 out of the handle to 5/8-9/16 at the tip.  Handle itself is 7/8. The first time I gave a decent push it only wanted to bend in the handle or fade area actually. So I done a few full length scrapes then worked some starting mid limb area. Now she will bend in an arc, not much of one but I can tell I've got the basics started pretty well. It no longer bends right out of the handle. I'm still not ready for a long string but its getting there. I will see what kinda pics I can get tonight.
Pat I'm going to cut those nocks when I go back out, came in for a late lunch.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 08:51:38 pm »
Well its starting to bend, no long string today but tomorrow for sure. Cut some nocks done some scraping. Nocks are kinda rough but ill clean em up tonight.

Offline willie

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 09:12:03 pm »
What are some dimensions for a d bow so I can get an idea of how they are tillered. I need a starting point.

if you got 3/4 at the handle, 3/8 at the tip would be a ballpark finish thickness, maybe just under that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 09:16:33 pm »
Looks good, John. bend, scrape, exercise and look...repeat.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 07:17:48 am »
JW,
        Oh Yeaaaaaa, there's the diamonds...Looking good... :BB
                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 07:24:21 am »
Diamonds in the rough!   ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:35:55 am »
   I started going to the long string a lot earlier than I used to a few years ago and it has been working out better for me. I use full target weight on each test draw even when I know the bow is still far too strong. I hate surprises when I find out one area of the limb is already at target bend before the rest of the limb.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 09:27:18 am »
Thanks guys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 09:31:00 am »
I'm with you Steve. As soon as I am satisfied with floor tiller I go to long string so I can stand back and see the overall bend of the bow and of each limb. I start marking areas that are bending and areas that are not. The sooner you get the limbs bending evenly and together the better chance you have to hit the ultimate draw weight  without surprises.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 08:42:35 pm »
Well guys didn't get very far, had some other things to attend to today. She is bending a lil more. In the pic I'm probly only pulling 4-5 inches and she's stiff. The pics didn't come out great it looks better on the tree its starting to show signs of an arc. Been working mid limb and out, only 3 scrapes then exercise check repeat and so on. Doing good not to rush. Question, on a stave like this will a gizmo work?

Offline willie

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 09:45:32 pm »
Question, on a stave like this will a gizmo work?

you bet

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,59376.msg824353.html#msg824353

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 08:16:15 pm »
Well guys its slow slow slow but that's a good thing. This is what I call zero brace. The string is tight against the handle so that if I lay it down on my bench and pull the string, the tips start to move immediately (.5 inch?). The pics show zero brace and #55 @13. So is that about  #85 @28? I'm happy so far.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 07:19:52 am »
 Nice bend started JW, looking good...At sometime during tiller you may have to stop with the gizmo...It will give you a circle tiller if you go all the way...If your looking for slightly elliptical you will have to watch it during final weight...At some point you will need to get those tips flipped a little for that replica...Now is a good time...It will change the look of things for sure...Really like what you are doing so far and being patient is a virtue my friend...
                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;