Author Topic: Need a teacher!  (Read 3693 times)

Offline apg

Need a teacher!
« on: January 04, 2018, 07:24:01 pm »
Hi guys,
I live in nyc and I’m looking for a GREAT teacher to work with me over a couple of days this month.
Does anyone know a good boy Meyer in NY NJ or CONN!

Offline Parnell

Re: Need a teacher!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:04:15 pm »
Hello APG and welcome to PA.  It's an interesting question...looking for a teacher in that area.  I've seen this question come up once or twice. 

It seems that's a funny part of the country for bow makers...not much representation.  Seems odd as there is such a large population.  Hopefully another member will be able to make a suggestion.

If you are serious about taking on the project you have all the resources you need available on this forum.  I'd be happy to field some of the beginning questions and help you bypass some hurdles if you like.  Feel free to send me a personal message if interested.

Hopefully you will not be discouraged, it's a great pursuit.  I'm still waiting to see someone in NYC work a piece of Osage!

Have you made a bow before or started a project?
1’—>1’

Offline apg

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:44:46 pm »
Hi @Parnell,
I’d gladly welcome any help and maybe I can post as I’ve done before on here as I go. I’m working a piece of Osage as my next bow. I worked hickory and a couple of bits of yew, and my ELB that I made just exploded at the range... I’m so close to just buying a ready made bow right now which I don’t want to do but all that work!!!
So waiting for the Osage and I’ll try to make a nice 50# bow from that. Trying to work out styles too - I think I might make a ledge this time so the arrow line is closer to the mid point of the string.
What I’d love though, is a really really great teacher who I can work one on one with for two days beginning to end.
Ash

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:50 pm »
Welcome to the forum, APG.  Upstatebowyer. And Jawge(George Tsouklais(sp) are in that area. George has a most excellent website as well.  Good luck with the build, post plenty of pictures.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:37:50 am »
Apg I wish you the best of luck finding a teacher. There really is nothing like building your own bow and meeting another bowyer. Like Parnell said though. If you can't find someone in person you can bounce any questions off members here. I know it's a pretty good drive but if you could make it to Marshall Michigan the week of Memorial Day weekend there will be lots of bowyers there making bows and helping others make bows. They are a fantastic bunch and it's not so big of an event that you feel out of place. They all treat you like a friend and it's a great family vacation to. I learned myself with the help of YouTube and then improving my skill dramatically with the help of members on this site. I made my first trip to Marshall 2 years ago and it was really great. My wife, grandson and I had a blast. Meet people from all across the US and made a lot of lifetime friends. It's also a great place to pickup some supplies at very reasonable prices and no shipping. If you look at the Primitive Meets and events section towards the bottom of home page you will find information on Marshall and other similar events.
Best of Luck and don't give up. In the end it's all more than worth it.
Bjrogg 
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:56:44 am »
Davy Reed and also Hole in the bow Chuck [on this site] lives in that area or at least in NY, :-\  just north of Buffalo, Davy is a great teacher and does that from time to time.Not sure how far that is from you but if you are interested PM Chuck and he can hook you up with Davy. Hope this helps and welcome. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:39 am »
It's good advice to think about attending Marshall or the Tennessee Classic this spring, if possible.  You'll learn more in days than you would in years on your own.

So you've ordered a piece of Osage...I figure you're aiming at designing an American flatbow design. 

Have you chased a ring before?  Heated in reflex?

I'm very curious as to what kind of work space you have available being in NYC.  You have a pulley system set up for tillering?

What is your drawlength?
1’—>1’

Offline apg

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 09:21:56 am »
Hi all,
Thanks so much for recs. I'm going to write to some of those folks.
Has anyone worked with  Brad Salon from Roots school in Vermont?
Ash

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 11:02:51 am »
Davy Reed teaches a lot of beginners at the Tennessee  classic every year.  I would highly  recommend working with him if you are able to.  Hole in the bow Chuck and Kevin, aka Buffalo Cobbler would be some other guys to look up. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 02:40:33 pm »
Where do you live? I'm smack dab in the middle of Brooklyn.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 03:27:26 pm »

I am imagining you carrying a 6' stave and a bag of tools on the subway. Makes me smile!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 05:32:21 pm »
Now that's something I've actually done!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 07:01:28 pm »
I'm right outside of Rochester and Buffalogobbler is west of me towards Buffalo. It's about 6 hours from NYC to Rochester and about 7 to Buffalo, but if you ever feel like making the trek I'd be happy to teach you what I know.  :) If I ever make it out to the big apple I'll look you up.

Welcome to PA!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline apg

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 07:13:22 pm »

Amazing! I'm in Manhattan. Usually, I work in my little yard. I'll PM you.

Offline apg

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 07:14:54 pm »
I'm right outside of Rochester and Buffalogobbler is west of me towards Buffalo. It's about 6 hours from NYC to Rochester and about 7 to Buffalo, but if you ever feel like making the trek I'd be happy to teach you what I know.  :) If I ever make it out to the big apple I'll look you up.

Welcome to PA!

Thank you! Indeed I would love to come up at some point - do you have a specialty? I'll look you up through your profile in the meantime.