Author Topic: First (successful) bow! Black Locust heartwood, 66.5inches NTN, 35lb @ 26inches  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Crogacht

Hi all,

Well, I've been away for a few years, but recently got back into the workshop and decided to dust off a stave and some tools and try to make a bow that actually works.

So this is my first finished bow, but my third attempt. I was aiming for 50lb, but I braced it way too late and ended up coming in light, which I am OK with. I don't have a lot of experience shooting bows, so 35lb is probably better to be honest.

I had to steam bend both limbs to correct a bit of lateral and propellor twist. It's still a pretty crazy piece of wood, but it's acceptable. Quite a few knots too, a couple in the tips, working limbs and handle. The fades look a bit strange because there was a couple of branches nearby so the grain bulges pretty severely and makes it look quite distorted.

I'm amazed by the properties of Black Locust, it just seems infinitely resilient. The design isn't perfect, the layout isn't perfect, the tiller isn't perfect, the finish is far from perfect, yet it bends all the way to 27 inches with what appears to be pretty minimal set, maybe 1 inch  at worst (so far anyway).

I've learnt a huge amount with this one, so I'm keen to get working on another and try to get something around 45-55lb that would be suitable for hunting.

Thanks for looking :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Looks good.  Learning is good.  It's all good
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline upstatenybowyer

Nice job finishing up your first! Learning is indeed good. Great to have you back  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Crogacht

Yep, I think so. I'd say the top limb needs to bend a little more mid limb and a little less at the fades, but I'm fairly happy. Hopefully the next stave is a little less crazy.

Offline Badger

Good job, if you can tiller out a Black locust without a chrysal all the other woods will be a breeze for you.

Offline Weylin

Awesome! Now I bet you're hooked. No one expects your first bows to be perfect. It's all about what you can learn from the process and apply to future bows. You're at the right place to share your work and get any help you need.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

congrats on your first  bow bud.no better feeling in the world. Great first bow.

Offline High-Desert

You clearly learn faster than I do, I successfully made a lot of firewood in the begging, several more than 3 attempts before I could launch an arrow. Great job on this shooter.
Eric

Offline DuBois

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing more bows from you.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Welcome back.Hard to beat good locust.Nice work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Philipp A

Nice job! I think your own self assessment is correct. It could use a bit more bend mid-limb in the upper half which should help straighten out the slight hinge you have on the upper fade, the lower half looks great. My first bow certainly didn't look that good. I am sure this will not be your last one.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline redhillwoods

your an ambitious guy. Locust is a challenging wood . Great work.

Offline JWMALONE

Nice job.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline M2A

Congrats on your 1st bow! Nice job. I can see the challenge in making that piece bend without developing a crystal. Will look forward to seeing your next one  :) Mike   

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Good job, if you can tiller out a Black locust without a chrysal all the other woods will be a breeze for you.

yeah, like Steve said. BL shows the quality of a bowyer
Simon
Bavaria, Germany