Author Topic: Misleading braced profile  (Read 3923 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Misleading braced profile
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:54:31 pm »
Hi fellas,

Wanted to run this by ya. I recently finished up this osage bow whose braced profile appears misleading.

Braced, it looks like the bow's gonna bend too much in the top limb, but at full draw the tiller looks good to me. It shoots great.

There's a bit of wonk on that top limb, which I'm assuming accounts for the funny looking braced profile.

Just wondering if you all agree with that assessment or if you have a different idea.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:42:36 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: Misleading braced profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:18:45 pm »
I think the wonk is misleading some but I also think the outer third of the top limb is bending more than the outer third of the bottom limb.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:04:13 am by DC »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »
I didn't see it before, but I think I do now that you mention it Don. It's pulling exactly 50# which is where I wanted it, but I suppose a few scrapes off the bottom third couldn't hurt. Thanks buddy.

I guess that kinda goes with my other post about tiller. Do I sacrifice a few pounds of draw weight for a more perfect tiller, or do I leave it as is, a bit on the positive side?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:27:25 pm »
Hit the weak spot with heat to stiffen it up, then drop the extra weight gained bu tillering the rest if the limb down some.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:14:21 pm »
Top tip has a little deflex though, and bottom tip looks a little reflexed.
Hard to say if it's bending more. If it were me I'd probably hit the top outer limb
with some heat to try and match it to the bottom. I bet your braced profile would even
up a bit more.  Looks very close though

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:27:57 pm »
when the bow is shooting great, it a judgment call,,
wont hurt to even it a bit,, sometimes I am not willing to sacrifice a few pounds, sometimes I wil do it,,
when do you know its finished,, )P(
I did like sleeks suggestion,,

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 10:00:15 pm »
I like sleek's suggestion too Brad. Good eye Goat. I'll give it some heat on top and go from there.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 10:42:12 pm »
For a bow like this perfect tiller is up for debate depending who you talk to. Yes, the top limb may bend a little more but also has a longer knot free top section. If you want to you could get a little more bent towards the tips in between the knots on the bottom.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 12:25:41 am »
         I think you balanced it out well between the two, your arrow appears to be drawing straight back. If it shoots good I would go with it.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:29:10 am »
I agree with Badger. I'd like to study a few things more closely if I saw it in person, but from what we can see in the pictures, I think it looks ok as is.

For those who think the bottom limb is too strong, or should flex more in the outer third or whatever... study each limb's unbraced profile closely in relation to the plane of the handle area, and then to each other. They're quite different in each instance. There's no good reason to try to make them look the same at brace, or anywhere throughout the draw. This piece of wood, with 'good tiller' SHOULD show the top limb arcing more than the bottom... because it starts off that way. It may look a bit 'weird' or abnormal to us as it bends, but we should resist the wants of our mind's eye for symmetry... or any bias or preconceived notions of how it should look like any other bow.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:08 am »
For all my opinion is worth I'd have to say I agree with Brad and dances with squirrels. I think this is a tuff one to just look at pictures and look for that perfect bend. I think it looks pretty good from my phone and I can see the unbraced profile in both the braced and full draw. I think you should be able to yet but there's a lot smarter guys than me here so just my 2c.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 06:03:58 am »
I'm very grateful for all of your observations.

Squirrels, your comment, "we should resist the wants of our mind's eye for symmetry... or any bias or preconceived notions of how it should look like any other bow" is very insightful. I am trying like heck to do that with this one. The tendency to make a bow fit my preconceived notions has led me to removing too much wood on many occasions.

BJ, I can't help but think of that HHB bow you posted a while back that also had a misleading braced profile. I remember you saying something like what Squirrels said above, that you had to pay the most attention to how it looked/felt at full draw rather than braced.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 06:51:46 am »
 Lower fade could move just a smidge...Just my 2 cents, looks good..
                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 07:18:26 am »
Full draw is where it matters!  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 07:20:35 am »
If you started out with the limbs equal in reflex/deflex. Then the top limb is deflex because during the tillering process you pulled the bow too far past then the top limb show being weak.  Looks like to me the whole top limb is weak or the bottom limb is too strong.
Heat treating may help but I think the best fix is to drop the weight and scrape the bottom to match the top.  JIMHO
Oh and it looks like a small hinge is forming about 8 in from your hand on the bottom limb in the full draw.
DBar
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:23:47 am by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking