Author Topic: Question about making bowstring from nettle-like plants  (Read 1892 times)

Offline arthoz

Question about making bowstring from nettle-like plants
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:05:55 am »
Stinging nettles doesn't exist i my country though we have nastier plants like rattan which thorn are like razor that could slice through your clothes and skin. So I looked for plants that looked like nettles in hope that similar shape meant they are from similar species. Got plenty of them from a kind of plant that we see as useless weed. The fibres peels nicely just like how nettles would.

For the past week I've been collecting, peeling them during my evening walks and got a lot drying. Made a thick bowstring with thickness just enough to tightly fit my arrow nock. My bow staves are still curing so I tested the string by pulling as hard as I could until it hurt too much to do it. Strong enough to resist my pulling strength, then I tied one end to a chair and lean away....I think it only held on for 30-40 kg weight before it broke.

I made them by plaiting thick strips of the plant fibres. Question is, should I first twist them into smaller/thinner strings before twisting them into a thicker one or just twist the thick bundle into a bowstring? Which is stronger?

Are there any tips to make a strong bowstring from nettle-like fibres? Are there any mistakes I should avoid from doing? I usually train making bowstring the flemish way by using nylon strings but still new at making rope from raw fibres.

All I have to make bowstring is nylon thread....anything else like dacron is really hard to get in my region and seem to be highly overpriced. I could use tree bark from the agarwood in our orchard....but that is the last resort....I could get into a lot of trouble if I damaged them too much before they fully mature.

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Question about making bowstring from nettle-like plants
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:47:33 am »
I’ve heard of rattan strip strings being made. No twisting required just some knots and keep it damp. If making a plant fiber string, make small threads and twist them into a bigger string. Do you have any butchers near your area? Asl if they have any tendons for sale.

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:46:25 am »
If you can get hold of decent linen thread or flax (raw linen) fibres that will make a very good string. They used it for warbows 600 years ago so you can't go far wrong :0)

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:34:03 am »
Rather than plaiting (braiding), you probably want to do "twining", or "reverse-wrap cordage". this method produces something like a two-strand rope. Videos on youtube. Making a string from rawhide may be easier and more likely to succeed. Got squirrels?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline arthoz

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:10:50 am »
Thanks Ryan, good idea on that rattan rope....I could try it once I've clear a path to one of the rattan vines. Though not sure how I'm going to scrape off the thorns.

As for linen/flax it is not available....not the raw unspun ones. I've read somewhere that commercial thread linen thread could easily break....something to do with their manufacturing. Was hoping to get some buffaloes or cow tendon from my local butcher but it's going to take some time to explain to him about cutting out just the tendon part....we here eat every part of the animal including the head and tail.

Just a short rant....we got something similar to flax that is kenaf fibers. But the government regulate them like tobacco so we need license to buy, sell and process kenaf. This makes kenaf fibers very hard to find in the market since planters will only sell to factory and the factory does god knows what with them. Just crazy....it's only fibers, not a controlled substance like tobacco, drugs or alcohol.

Interesting that you mentioned squirrels Aaron....was planning to put up traps since the fruit season is coming. I was planning to feed my puppies with game meat and rice porridge. :OK

Thanks for all the advice. Will learn more on making cordage. Since my cord making skills is unreliable at the moment, so to make things easier I've decided to try using tree bark....agarwood tree bark. Just can't resist the temptation. Got several strip of an inch wide and about 5 foot long bark. Pure white, soft as fabric but very tough I can't even break a thin strip with my hands. Now need a few days for them to dry.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:33 am »
You may find raw flax fibers at a weavers supply.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC