Author Topic: Warmer weather in the fall as a standard now  (Read 3858 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Warmer weather in the fall as a standard now
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:13:28 am »
That's what it seems like anyway.Might go through another october without burning any wood to keep the house warm.I'm 63 and burning wood for heat for over 35 years and can't recall it ever being like this,this many years in a row..Usually around the end of september a burn or two is needed to stay warm.
Don't really know if I'm griping or grateful though.For bow hunting deer activity is slower and more work.For the back needing less wood it's less work....lol.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:19:00 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
Re: Warmer weather in the fall as a standard now
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:25:18 am »
BowEd,
You are right, I remember some cold days in September, and having to turn on the heat.  Also remember school closing for snow several times a year, now we hardly have any snow here in South Carolina.   I have seen a big change over the years. I just wonder how it will be in another 50-60 years. Good thing is you wont have to cut as much wood.
 Steve

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:27:12 am »
Had frost this morning out back and a freeze is coming this weekend. Gotta go get the last of the jalapeņos picked.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:33:09 am »
Yeah but are the springs getting colder.?   Is it a shift of about a month?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:56:04 am »
We are having our first freeze tonight and only a few spotty frost til now. Our leaves haven't hit peak leaf color yet or even near and usually the second and third week in October is when it happens. Haven't had a good cold winter in a few years. We've had hard freezes(low teens or upper single digits) the last few years but only lasting a few days then back up to the 50s and 60s.
 Ed, I have about 6 cords of firewood cut, split, stacked and under cover so we are ready that way. All of our heat is with wood and our passive solar house. I'm 67 and it gets a little harder each year but I still enjoy it.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:21:26 pm »
Human calender vs Mother Nature?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »
Yes fellas there was frost on the grass when I went to the deer stand this morning,but still not that terribly cold.Into the 50's daytime yet.The springs do seem to be colder longer too.You're right.
Good to hear your set for the winter Pat.It's a good feeling.My dad[deceased now] was totally confused when I just burned wood.Said he worked a lifetime to make things more convenient and here you go going backwards again.....lol.I like the smell I guess....lol.It does save money though too.I figure close to or more then 30,000 dollars all these years.
Personally I think with time these things will come around back to normal somewhat.Could be wrong though.
I've got 2 woodstoves in here.One big one rated to do 1800 square feet downstairs and one stove upstairs rated about half that of the other.All radiant heat.A open stairway lets the heat come upstairs.Set up better then I've been in my whole life.Thought about solar a bit but the numbers of cost to savings did'nt make enough sense to me but if I was younger it would be a very good way to go I'd say myself.Only been in this place 15 years.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 02:37:11 pm »
You have a point Zuma.I'm a student of getting along with mother nature being a farmer and all for comfort,ease of living,work, and making money.Seems I'm old enough to remember when things were different.
BowEd
Ed

Online sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 03:26:10 pm »
This thread borders on the topic of global warming. I object and need a safe space.  Joking of course.

If indeed the seasons are shifting, thats neat. I havent noticed it myself, but moving around like I do, I dont have a base line to compare. Imahafta take yalls word for it. If the seasons are shifting, no big deal, living things will shift with it. Nothing lost nothing gained.

If everything is getting warmer all around, thats cool. Used to we had an earth that was a tropical paradise, the entire planet. So much plant life, so much animal life as a result. Lots more rain, ni droughts, and the deserts will flourish again. I could do without a Trex of course, unless we have an open season on them and taste like steak. But really, if the oceans rise, more fish to eat, if we loose some land, big deal, we can cope fine. I jist worry about mosquitos.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 06:31:42 pm »
There's no doubt that this has become the norm and wasn't so 15 years ago.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:38:08 pm »
I love it!!! You guys will finally stay home and quit seeking the hot weather and then go, "oh crap, it's hot"and migrate back North. Today is the first day I have turned my Air Conditioner off since April and that was for about four days. :'( (-S
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 10:06:53 pm »
Yeah, we've been heating with wood for almost 40 years and both my wife and myself love it. We have a Fisher Momma Bear that we've used the whole time and I think we paid $50 for it used.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 05:30:40 am »
It seems to me to go in cycles. Being a farmer like Ed you tend to remember the weather patterns maybe more so than most people. It always seems like it averages out in the end. The whole decade of the 80's we had wet falls. Struggled every year to bring in the crops. 1992 was a very cool year and cold wet fall. Our corn didn't mature. We chopped as much as we could for silage. The only way we could combine it was to have it temperature drop below 14 degrees. Then it froze solid and handled simular to dry corn. Any warmer and it was mush. If I remember correctly the 90's we had lots of snow and cold winters. I would agree the past few years we've had milder even hot September and October. We had a cool wet spring and summer here. I know not all of the state got the rain we did. Our corn would have had trouble reaching maturity and drying down but we had the most heat and dry weather all year in September. Of the last three winters one very cold with lots of snow and two on the milder side.
Bjrogg
PS Eddie nothing personal but I don't plan on wintering in your fine state. I really do enjoy all the seasons
Ed the house I grew up in we heated with wood. I can't talk my wife into it even though I have literally tons of dead ash trees on piles for firewood. I love wood heat and you get to feel it twice to. Once when you make it and store it. Once when you burn it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 06:31:34 am »
The different seasons are all still there to enjoy.Sometimes more extreme then others.I would'nt live in any other state than Iowa myself any time of year.Possibly out west.
Food for the country is the basis for much of a countrys' wealth.So weather is important.Only thing out of man's control.Time will tell what happens.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 08:17:51 am »
A wise man once wrote:
"Climate is what we expect but Weather is what we get."