Author Topic: Bow finish  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Jobby

Bow finish
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:39:00 pm »
Hello, I have just finished making my first bow. It is a red oak longbow and I am wondering what to use to put on it to finish it. Do I need a protective coating? I would like to make it dark brown can I use a plain old wood stain? and what is the process? thank you.

Jobby,

Offline Morgan

Re: Bow finish
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:09:26 pm »
Congrats on the first bow. Hopefully first of many. You can use any of the stains, rit dye, etc. Finish with boiled linseed oil, rendered fat, true oil etc. we'd love to see pics! I find it more difficult to take a good pic of a bow than it is to make the darn thing.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:06:45 pm »
Job by,
Congratulations!,  there are a number of dark oak stains on the market, you can also make your own,
I think Mullet recommended boiling walnut hulls to get a good brown.  Post some pictures!  I am getting ready to make the first cuts on my hickory stave, as soon as I make a "bow bench".  So hopefully I will be able to post pis by December.  Elk season and radiation treatment gets in the way!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:17:03 am »
Use the stain of Your choise, I always used Spar Urathane in a rattle-can for finishing  very durable ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Jobby

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:01:43 am »
Here it is. I had a better photo but it said it was too large so here we are.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:37:03 am »
Congratulations on your first bow, bet it's not your last!

I used shoe polish on a board bow recently and was pretty happy with the results.

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:15:14 pm »
Nice first bow, (not all of us got to shoot our first bow) ;). Will you be making your own arrows?

I like the shoe polish idea, sounds like an easy to blend some different shades

Offline Jobby

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:29:24 pm »
I will be trying to make my own arrows. I am currently working on a new bow and will post as I go.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 08:23:49 pm »
Congrats on your first! I like tung oil mixed with a little mineral spirits.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:44:02 pm »
welcome to the addiction. I use fiebing's leather dye to stain my bows and tru oil to finish them.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 03:54:32 am »
Nice job young man, very nice work especially for you first. Welcome. I always seal with gun stock tru oil but there are alot of finishes that will work just fine.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jobby

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 07:19:27 am »
Thanks everyone.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 09:00:23 pm »
The easiest I've found is polyurethane ... spray it on from a rattle can or wipe it on with a rag. A few coats is all it takes.

Or you can use any oil based wood finish like linseed oil, tung oil, tru oil (which is varnish and tung oil blend I think). I've even used beeswax mixed with olive oil (heated until it melts into the olive oil, pour into jar, let cool and it's a paste). The beeswax mix smells good too.

Hard to beat the ease of use, minimal time, and moisture protection of an outdoor rated polyurethane like spar urethane.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 03:59:17 pm »
I been using tru oil mostly but did order my own variety of shellac buttons and plan to give them a go soon.

Congrats on the nice bow by the way. What are the wraps on upper limb?

Offline Jobby

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 04:06:00 pm »
Thanks and those wraps on the top limb is just the exes string. I have not gotten or made a proper string yet. some of the pictures that I try to post are too big how do I fix this?