Author Topic: Question on frets/chrysals  (Read 5269 times)

Offline sleek

Question on frets/chrysals
« on: October 03, 2017, 07:16:20 pm »
Hypothetical question of course, because I would NEVER have these problems EVER because I am WAY better than that lol.....

So if you hinge a bow and develope chrysals, then you fix the hinge, relieving the strain, but you still see those bad boys, are they still a problem even though the tiller has been corrected?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bushboy

Re: Question on frets/chrysals
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 07:25:14 pm »
From what I've seen,once the belly is crushed,it will fall out of tiller again in short order .been wrong before though!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 07:37:06 pm »
I dont think there is really any way to fix it,,
that being said, I crysaled a locust bow,, close to the fades, and evened the tiller,,its still shooting 20 years later,, but I think it was very minor,, so I guess there are some varying degrees of damage that could change the outcome,, I think on an overbuilt design, you would have better luck than something highly stressed,

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:13 pm »
   My experience has been like Brads, I have chyrsaled nearly every locust bow I have built, they took a little set but still remained decent shooters. White woods and most other woods I consider toast if they have chrysaled

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 08:23:15 pm »
This hypothetical bow has taken 1 inch of set, is osage, and shoots very well. With it being osage badfer, does it fall into the " toast " category?

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 08:25:36 pm »
Here is a pic of the chrysals.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 08:55:01 pm »
Jim Davis has an interesting fix for compression fractures that involves removing the damage completely and replacing it with new wood. Seems tricky to do right, but he swears by it. I've never tried it so I have no opinion as to it's merit.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:09 pm »
I really dont have much experience with frets on osage,,that looks bad, but cant tell what part of the bow its on,, I guess in theory, if you could tiller so that part is stiff it might make it, I am just guessing,,

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:11:07 pm »
Lower limb, right where the thermostat on the wall lower left corner points is exactly where they are.

Tiller is a little off. Lower limb bends a bit more than I want.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:44:28 pm »
With that overstressed design i think you ae toast maybe shoot it till it fails, i wouldn't let it out of my hands personally even if i came up with a "fix"
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 09:54:13 pm »
If I had a bow fret like that I'd cut it up and cook some burgers with it.  I would not be able to fully trust it.  No way I would trust someone else shooting it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:08 pm »
Well, it shoots so nice, i may pike it to get it down to 40#@26, and make it a target bow for me. Maybe rawhide back it just incase. Shoot it till it breaks.

Probably shorten the upper limb and flip the bow end for end, putting the damage on the upper limb instead if the lower.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 12:04:21 am »
Sleek, those chrysals don't look like a candidate for my kind of fix. I plug smaller spots of soft wood or missing knots. I do think that limb could be set up in a  fixture and a section of the belly removed with a router, then a new piece fitted tightly to the routed area and glued in. But is it worth it? I think leaving the bow as is and shooting it is a reasonable approach.

Here's one of my small patches.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 12:52:14 am »
Jim, i believe when it comes to inlaying you are the king. I thank you for the reply, but I believe this bow will be left as it is. I will onday put your patch method to use, very genius i must sah by the way.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 09:39:26 am »
Is this part of the new line of bows you are offering on-line? Dude, you are 0 for whatever on them. The one you handed me blew splinters all over the back and this one fractured all to hell. I wouldn't be so eager to pawn them off as a new line of bows when none have survived. Remember, you are representing ALL of us in this hobby when you try to sell junk. I'm always surprised how often I hear, "I never knew a self bow could shoot so good". That comes from people getting junk self bows and assuming they are all the same. My bows are very far from special. They are just built right, like many other bowyers build.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.