Author Topic: Osage kid's bow build-along (finished pics added)  (Read 6670 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Osage kid's bow build-along (finished pics added)
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:16:46 pm »
I think the time has come to make my son a bow he can grow into. He's currently shooting one I made from hickory last year as a Christmas present. It's amazing how the little buggers grow. He's 5 now and really getting stronger and more in control of his body. Plus, we recently joined Cub Scouts and of course I want him to have the coolest bow in the den!

I decided to let him make all the decisions on this bow and the first question was, "what kind of wood do you want?" His face lit up and instantly said, "Osage Dad, it's the king of all bow woods!" I guess I've taught the boy well.  ;)

I picked out a branch that's been laying around forever, so it's well seasoned.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:34:25 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Osage kid's bow build-along
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:22:06 pm »
As you can see the rings are very thin. I told him it's probably gonna need a backing and he said he wants fish skin. So I plan on backing it with some carp, which is thick enough to add some protection.

I chased down a ring as best I could, but there are a couple violations. I'm shooting for around 20# at his 18". The bow's gonna bend through the handle and it's 40" long. I figure it won't be too overstressed and with the backing should be pretty safe.

I laid out the front profile at about 1" wide and roughed that out on the bandsaw.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:28:03 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 08:27:16 pm »
Last thing I did on the bow today was rough out the thickness. It's pretty crowned, so I measured 5/8" thick from the top of the crown at the center, tapering to 3/8" mid-limb with the thickness remaining constant to the tips from there with the width tapering instead.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:02:36 pm »
Oh well, doesn't seem to be too much interest in this thread, but I figure I started it, so I might as well finish it.

Got it tillered to brace, then out to his full draw. He said he wants whitetail antler tips, so that's next.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »
I'm watchin'. I have a 6 year old grandson that I made a Boo backed yew for. It's 44" and 9#@18". It's about all he wants to pull. He may be sandbaggin'. He is small but 20# seems high. Have you tested his pull?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 05:55:07 pm »
Hey there DC! Yea, a response!  :laugh: lol I didn't expect much interest, but I haven't seen any kids bow build alongs so I figured what the heck.

20# is definitely a lot for him, but I wanted to make him something he can grow into. He still has his 10# hickory that he can pull to full draw no problem. He can only get this one to about 10" but even there it shoots his little arrows quite well.  (SH)  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 05:56:46 pm »
I'm looking...:)
It is coming along nicely.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 06:24:43 pm »
Kids' bow has got to be one of the hardest bows to make. Couple scrapes too many and . . . . . . .  .

Bow you're making looking good.

Built several for the grandkids and other family. Always at weights I thought each could easily handle. 24@20 lasted my grandgirl for couple years. Then made another. That pattern has been repeated several times, usually no more than 2-3 years apart.

Look forward to these posts.
Given the bows you been puttin' out, am certain boy WILL have coolest bow in the den.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:00:41 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 06:37:26 pm »
I 've made a bunch and i would rather make them a new one ever year than have it to heavy. 1/4" arrows are fast out of a 5lb bow and will keep little ones interested. My daughters was to heavy and once i fixed it her enjoyment and shooting improved drastically.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 07:59:21 pm »
Thanks a bunch guys. He's really excited. He wants to watch every step of the build.

You make a very good point Paul. The most important thing is keeping them interested. His mother loves to "baby" him and I'm always trying to "man him up."  )P( I think maybe I'll drop the weight down to 13# or so. Your example about your daughter makes total sense. Thank you  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 12:38:45 am »
Might get him to working on form by pulling rehab type rubber band, or strips of inner tube, to help build his shoulder muscles!  He will be able to shoot as soon as the bow is ready.  Then all you got to worry about as he grows is girls, cars, football, and girls >:D >:D!  Neat bow, by the way!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 01:41:03 am »
I only just found this, don't know how I missed it. I really enjoy building kids bows, I found it best to go narrow or they need to be seriously thin to get the weight down.  My boy was shooting 18# at 20" til he was 15. He'll be 17 in December and he's shooting 35 at 25 now. You might need to be prepared to put that bow on a diet..

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 06:13:34 am »
Good thinking with the training exercises Hawk. I've got plenty of innertubes.  :OK

Stuck, the bow definitely needs to loose some weight and narrower may indeed be the way to go. It is osage after all and you know what they say... thicker is quicker!

I laid down a layer of goat hide last night as a precaution. I got the antler glued on the tips as well. 

Nigerian Proverb

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 06:28:33 am »
Looking good already! And nice he has so much interest in the whole thing. Building a hazel bow for my 6 year old daughter at the moment and I am having a hard time to get the bow below 20 lbs.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 07:01:59 am »
I found with hazel you can lose weight really quickly be side tillering