Author Topic: Worm holes  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Worm holes
« on: August 27, 2017, 01:29:08 pm »
Good day to all.  I have a question.  I haven't built a bow in a while and I'm using the same stave that I made my hunting bow with about 3 years ago.  The bow is for my son.  I want your advice about the worm holes and knots.  Do you thing the bow will break at the worm holes?  At the knot? 
I'm attaching pictures to show where they are.  I'm obviously not close to being finished but do you think I'm wasting my time on this stave?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.   

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Worm holes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:42:25 pm »
That doesn't look very promising.  Can you chase a clean ring below the worm damage?  Where is that knot located in the bow?  If it's in the working portion of the limb I wouldn't trust it.  If that stave was in my work shop it would be used for fire wood.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 01:45:03 pm »
^^^^
Yep, what he said. If ya got a better stave use it.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:38:09 pm »
Thanks guys. Kind of what I was thinking.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:23:19 pm »
Yeah, cook wood.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 08:11:15 pm »
I would hesitate to use it for a hunting bow. But for a youth bow of about 30 pounds, I would just plane the holes out.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:14:02 am »
No good... don't waste your time.
I had some Pacific Yew billets sent over had bug damage in the sapwood (the bugs hadn't read the book that says they don't eat Yew 'cos it's toxic  ;D )
I picked out 2 that looked clean... got a bow built and drawing about 26" when it exploded... bug hole straight across the back just below the surface, and that's where it blew...
I never did figure out how the hole got there as I couldn't find the entry of exit point... devious little bugs  >:(
Del
PS. I took the sapwood off the other billets and backed 'em with some English Yew sapwood making a Transatlantic bow :)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.