Author Topic: Pecan Logs  (Read 1853 times)

Offline LaBill67

Pecan Logs
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »
Hello Primitive archers.  Today I cut two pecan logs measuring 58" x 10" and 72" x 15".  I would like to hear your ideas about the best way to prepare them for seasoning.  I have quartered the smaller of the two but the larger one is still whole. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pecan Logs
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 05:15:27 pm »
Split the big log at least in half, seal the ends of both logs and put them off the ground and under cover to dry. After a month you can split down to staves then store them for seasoning.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »
Pecan??? that size logs.....
I would split them in quarters and peel the bark off, seal the backs and ends with some sort sealant, glue, poly, cheap paint, etc.  schelack works the best IMHO.... and set them aside for a year to dry/cure.  then bring them inside the house with controlled heat/cool really humidity for two months and then make some bows.....JMHO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 05:54:32 pm »
That sounds like work DBAr.......but fun work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:01:39 pm »
Ed ... you know that it's not that much work for what you end up with....shoot I forget how much work it was by the time I start making bows. :)
DBar

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:18:00 pm »
What DBAR says. Lots of guys would kill for pecan like that. Split big, seal, dry, split more, cure. That should make some beautiful bows. Keep the bugs off also if you don't peel the bark.

Kyle

Offline LaBill67

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:36:43 pm »
Thanks to everyone for giving me your inputs.  It was quite a job splitting the smaller log into quarters and I'm thinking I may have to use a chain saw on the large log, at least to get it in halves. Any problem with doing that, I mean other that not having a ripping saw blade? I will peal the bark and get some shellac to seal the ends and backs.  Does it matter where I put the quarters to let them season as long as they are off the ground and out of the weather? I believe this will be some good wood so I don't want to lose it by being careless with it.  Thanks again you guys.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:49:21 pm »
Sounds like you've got the idea....With hickory/Pecan the trees grow pretty straight without much twist, so using a saw to kurf or scribe before you split will work just fine. Using a chain saw can be tricky if your not use to using a chain saw for the job. I have used a skill saw.
As long as the wood is out of the weather and off the ground it will season.  Just understand storing the wood in a controlled inviorment (indoors) will speed up the drying time which will allow you to work the wood sooner.
DBar

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 08:54:06 pm »
Unless the grain is dead straight and it has no obvious knots I would still split rather than saw.  If its splits straight, sure go ahead and kerf the rest of it if you like. Straight staves from character wood = bad for bows.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 09:37:12 pm »
Keep the staves dry and out of the sun.  If you leave the bark on it would be wise to spray bug killer on them.  Best way to prevent borers from ruining your staves is to remove the bark. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left