Author Topic: Beeswax finish?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Tahosa

Beeswax finish?
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:53:33 pm »
Hey all,
I am new to the process of making bows (built 5 or 6 broke 5 or 6 :P).  But I have been reading that beeswax makes a good finish and can be a good water repellent.  Is it better to mix the beeswax with something like olive oil or bacon grease, or is it better to just rub on straight beeswax and heat it up into the bow? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline Weylin

Re: Beeswax finish?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:10:36 pm »
I did a beeswax finish on this bow. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,60173.msg838418.html#msg838418
It was really easy. I just rubbed a layer of beeswax on the bow. Then I heated up a small section with my heat gun on low. Once in liquified I quickly buffed it with cheesecloth. This worked it into the wood and removed any excess wax at the same time. I didn't cut the wax with anything.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:38:17 am »
Its often mixed with turpentine to a creamy paste, that dries a little better than when it's softened with olive oil, but it's all good. :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dirthas

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:12:26 am »
I love beeswax to finish bows. Weylin's method works really well. I also like to melt beeswax chips into mineral oil or bacon grease at 50/50 ratio by volume. The mineral oil and beeswax mixture seems to work a little better.