Author Topic: 3 snakes and a sheep  (Read 3344 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

3 snakes and a sheep
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
Well it was a productive day here in upstate NY. Mother nature was kind to me.

I saw an old friend at a party yesterday and she got to talking about how this family of Garter snakes had taken over her back patio.  ;) She and her daughter were really freaking out about it so I offered to go to their home and "take care of it" for her.  )P( So I went over there today and sure enough there were at least 5 big ones curled up together sunning themselves on the back step.  (-S I managed to catch the 3 biggest ones. Their skin is surprisingly beautiful. :o

As for the sheep, I was fishing for cats in Lake Ontario and got what I thought was a pretty big one on.  )F( As it turns out it was a sheepshead, which I've heard tastes like shrimp if prepared the right way.  -C-

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: 3 snakes and a sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:06:31 pm »
Skins look real nice.
We call them fish White Perch or fresh water "Drum" here in "Kanetuck".
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:12:45 pm »
Nice looking skins.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:26:22 pm »
Nice haul
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 08:50:14 pm »
How long are the skins? A big garter snake would get maybe 18" long here.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 06:13:26 am »
Those garter snake skins are pretty Jeff. One morning I was walking through the house in the dim morning light when I saw movement from the corner of my eye. There was a nice sized garter snake on the bathroom floor. I tried to catch him but he went under the vanity. After a considerable amount of time I had to leave him and get to work. My wife was just thrilled. About a hour later she called me, snake was out of  vanity again. I went home and caught it. I released it a good distance from the house. A year later my wife called me very distraught. There was another garter snake in the house, this one she got with the garden hoe. I figured out they were coming in the vent for my clothes drier. Haven't had another. Wasn't building bows then.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:19:05 am »
I can totally relate BJ. I once came upon a 6 ft rat snake that had been hit by car. It was still alive so I put it out of it's misery and threw it into the woods and kept driving. Didn't know about snakeskin backings then.

DC, the longest one is a little over 30" which is pretty common around here.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:06:02 pm »
They are beautiful skins Jeff.Especially with the red stripes on them.Ours get that long here too.Super easy to put on a bow too being so thin.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:13:47 pm »
Very nice skins and we also call that fish a drum in the south eastern part of Kantucky. Really fun to bow fish for.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:48:42 am »
Call 'Em Sheepshead here in Michigan. I know some Southern Guys that call the Gaspergoos ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 07:17:45 am »
Jeff if you cube that meat up in 1" squares and quickly boil it, it will taste like lobster/shrimp. Add a little Obay in the water.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:44:18 am »
And dip the cubes in melted butter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 07:56:10 am »
Aye aye Chris, I'm gonna try that for sure. I pan fried half of it last night w/butter and salt but I've still got the other half in the fridge. Tasty fish for sure!

Bob I think I like "Gaspergoo" name the best.  :)

Ed, I'd love to see how Garter skins look on a bow. Got a pic by any chance?

Gut, I'm surprised they swim in shallow enough water to bow fish for them. Caught that one on the bottom at about 25'.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 11:30:17 am »
Upstate they will make a run up the creeks here I guess to spawn. I love hearing them drum. Must be there mating call!😆

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 11:44:31 am »
And dip the cubes in melted butter.
Or Home made cocktail sauce...
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking