Author Topic: Drawknives  (Read 6834 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Drawknives
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 03:24:47 am »
Without knowing the steel type and how it has been treated we are all guessing to a degree ;)
Old tools are great (in general) but if the back isn't flat or there is a hint of rust on it then I wouldn't waste my time.

There are plenty of great quality modern drawknifes as well as poor cheap ones. The latest modern steels are superb and purer than some of the older steels. It all depends on the final user and what they want from a steel. D2, 440, CPMN S35vn are all wonderful 'modern' steels for edged tools.
Try looking at Dictums website. Excellent service and a highly knowledgeable staff.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 05:33:05 am »
LOL, Steve, at 69 I think I, too, qualify as an old timer. :) Jawge
Now, you kids, stop squabbling, else I'll tell your Moms!  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 06:10:56 am »

It is an old blade that was bought off the auction site, and it has turned into the main reason I'm not  making progress with bows as it's just too frustrating trying to use it when everyone else seems to be able to turn half a log into a rough bow in a couple of hours!
Just a thought, and slightly off topic, but, I invested some time and effort in re-profiling an old hatchet (it cost me £9 including post), taking it from a splitting edge to a carving edge, and I often find that once I'm done roughing out with that, I can go straight to hand planes and my Shinto without risking the tear-out that I frequently get from a draw-knife

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 07:15:50 am »
Del, I wish you could tell her. She surely would set me straight. Besides we are not squabbling we are discussing. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:27 am »
Without knowing the steel type and how it has been treated we are all guessing to a degree ;)

Without wishing to be rude to everyone, I know what's wrong with my current knife - it doesn't hold an edge and doesn't take off any wood. I bought it when I knew a lot less than I know now and got a dud. That's why I'm looking for a new one...

Try looking at Dictums website. Excellent service and a highly knowledgeable staff.

Just had a glance there, looks like some good options so I'll have a proper look later.

Just a thought, and slightly off topic, but, I invested some time and effort in re-profiling an old hatchet (it cost me £9 including post), taking it from a splitting edge to a carving edge, and I often find that once I'm done roughing out with that, I can go straight to hand planes and my Shinto without risking the tear-out that I frequently get from a draw-knife

I had some success using my billhook to rough a laburnum stave out, but then I split my knuckle open with it at work so my wife made me get rid of it    :-\
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:22:26 am by Lucasade »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:58 am »
It sounds like the previous owner ruined the hardness of the blade by grinding on it.  Might be time to find another draw knife.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 11:06:30 am »
Second hand stores and flea markets may have them. I prefer the old knives.

I think it is because  I like to ponder about how and who used them.

One I inherited from my father of blessed memory. I never saw him use it but I sure have and it keeps a good edge with a little touch up with a stone. 

The other I bought at a second hand store ($10). I cleaned it up with steel wool and removed nicks with a file. Then, I sharpened with a stone as i described way back.  I also bought a Swedish push knife in pristine condition ($6) at a second hand store.

You never know what you will find.

When I make my trade points I get them sharp, heat until red hot and quench them in motor oil. 

I then re-temper them in my toaster oven when my wife is not looking.  I put them in at around 350 for 20 minutes and leave them there until they cool.

I sharpen them more and continually during the season.

You could skip the heating and quenching and retemper. You would likely need more than 20 minutes because of the larger size involved. Of course, you would have to remove the handles.

I am not a blacksmith but that is what I do to my trades. Research more on line for your edification.

There's thousands of years experience on this site but you have to be patient with us.

Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 01:13:41 pm »

There's thousands of years experience on this site but you have to be patient with us.

Jawge

I hope I haven't offended anyone - the wealth of experience on here is one of the main reasons I know a lot more now than I did then!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 01:17:41 pm »
You haven't offended me. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Coonst

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 03:08:22 pm »
Just in case, a new one is back on your wishlist, and you may like the mini-drawknive with crooked handles by the Swiss company Pfeil ... go for it. I really love mine, and so do plenty bowyers I've met. It is actually quite popular over here in Germany.

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 04:08:36 pm »
Just in case, a new one is back on your wishlist, and you may like the mini-drawknive with crooked handles by the Swiss company Pfeil ... go for it. I really love mine, and so do plenty bowyers I've met. It is actually quite popular over here in Germany.

Is that a single or double bevel knife? I used a double bevel Swedish knife for most of my life and one time I couldn't find it and started using one of my single bevel knives. I never went back.

Offline gifford

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 04:30:38 pm »
Badger - I was curious about that drawknife; Amazon and Woodcraft sell them over here. It's a single bevel drawknife; looks nice, pricey compared to flea market swap shop drawknives that most of us have.  :BB

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 05:10:47 pm »
  Gifford, I haven't found any draw knives that I like better than the old style we see on e ebay and flea markets. Once I adjusted to it I like them better than my Swedish model.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 04:37:30 pm »
I have a technique  that my dad taught me for re hardening  chisels ,heat the blade up tell it glows and immediately  shove the blade in to a bucket of sand  it starves the oxygen and allows slow cooling works on chisels don't see why it wouldn't work on a draw knife but never tried .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 08:15:22 pm »
I would think slow cooling would anneal the steel and make it softer.  You want to quickly cool it off to harden it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left