Author Topic: Rhododenron  (Read 1149 times)

Offline DC

Rhododenron
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:59:54 am »
We pruned some old rhodos and I got a couple of bends I may use for siyahs. Is there any problems with drying it? Does it check or warp?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rhododenron
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 01:37:23 pm »
Never used Rhodo for syiahs, heck, never made a syiah.  Try cutting it long and leave the bark on or seal it well. You might also try rough shaping the syiah, seal the ends and see what happens.  Rhodo seems a bit heavy for syiahs but that's just a guess on my part.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 02:56:23 pm »
It's a matter of finding bent wood wherever I can. It can't be any heavier than the Ocean spray I used last time. And it will probably be used on an OS bow.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 05:17:24 pm »
Hey DC,

Try out some "false azalea" it grows amoung th blueeberries in the understory. It usually has agressive bends and is very light (but soft). I actually made an ugly lunch-break bow with it and it shoots. It is nearly as soft as basswood but seems to "spring" back into shape.

Despite the poor tiller, it hasn't had any crysals yet.

I have been looking for big huckleberry of bow worthy size. Nothing so far.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 05:42:06 pm »
I've never seen false azalea big enough. The only place I've seen it is up in the alpine though. I have a few in the back yard that we collected about ten or twenty years ago and it's still arrow size. Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 10:24:52 pm »
Don i cut a piece of rhododendron last year all i did was sealnthe ends and its fine. Hey tree ninja I got some huckleberry. I'll bring it to the gathering in Cumberland for ya! Cheers- Brendan