Author Topic: Planted some bows?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Planted some bows?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 07:03:00 pm »
Yup, I gotta see what they look like someday.

Clint, so far they are leaving them alone. When I plant trees I just stick round point shovel straight up in ground. Then I open the slit just a little by pulling and pushing handle. Just stick Roots in slit and squeeze slit closed by pressing slideways on both sides of slit. The minimum disturbance really helps. If you dig to much dirt up everything in the woods will either eat it, or dig it up. My deer might not even know they  are supposed to like em yet.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 06:05:51 am »
A little update for Ed and anyone else interested. I checked on my Osage transplants and they look great. So far the deer haven't figured out they're supposed to like them. They got lots of other stuff to eat now.
Thanks Ed
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 07:31:34 am »
Put some cages around them the first several years. That will keep the critters away.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 07:41:32 am »
Those tree tubes work well and increase the grow rate to about double. Seems like they will make your saplings grow straight up as well.

I got a surprise the other day when I spotted a tree tube in a local native plant garden that I hadn't noticed before. I walked over to look at it and the tube had a sticker from the American Chestnut Foundation. It was one of the 95% American Chestnut hybrids the foundation has been working on for so many years. A while back I thought about buying some nuts to plant but they sell for $100 each.   

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 08:14:59 am »
Looks good Brian.Ours are doing good here too.Every year is'nt the same in growing rate if mother nature alone does the work but the older it gets the more abuse it can handle and still survive.
I saw a deer browsing on multiflora rose the other day.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »
Around here young osage trees need a lot of protection from deer. I had one about ten feet tall and found one day that a buck had rubbed the bark off all the way around. I cut it off at the bare part and put a "cage" of steel T-posts around it for protection. It grew a little for two years, then died. This year it has put out a lot of suckers from the ground. The deer can eat the young leaves in spite of those big sharp thorns. Put protection around them now, or you will have nothing by fall.

WA

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 09:19:45 am »
Seems to me those deer there know whats coming if they let those trees live >:D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 08:32:12 pm »
If the Osage doesn't get em the HHB will Ryan. )W( :BB (SH) :-D
Bjrogg

Offline Morgan

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 09:52:34 pm »
Bj, how long you reckon it’ll be before you can harvest from those little guys?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 07:40:07 am »
Those look real good, Brian. I planted two in my front yard about 15 years ago and are about 8-10' tall, now. And I bet they are the only osage in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 10:57:12 am »
Morgan I really don't know. Maybe I'll be here and maybe I won't. Never know when it's your time. Pnewton gave me some apples he got from trees he planted from seeds about ten years ago. He said they had about three apples a few years ago then six and last year he had a bunch of them. I think he said they were about 15 feet tall now.
Looked at them yesterday and they still looked good. Found a couple more I couldn't find earlier.
Eddie there's all kinds of orange trees in Florida, but you may be right. You might have the only Osage Orange ones.
Bjrogg