Author Topic: Bear Camp  (Read 4425 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Bear Camp
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »
Well, Found out Monday I drew a bear tag. Game on for Michigan Bear Camp. Here'e the deal...I'm going probably 1rst or 2nd week of October. Hunting for deer in the mornings, bear in the evenings, maybe a little fishing somewhere in the middle. It'll be on Grand Island, located in Lake Superior, just of the shores of Munising, MI. Anybody is more than welcome to join me! Considering, it's on an Island, food, shelter, and anything else you want is all your responsibility. I just won't be able to haul enough stuff for more than myself, and I think my nephew who was in turkey camp is coming along.

I'll keep you all posted as things develop further.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Zuma

Re: Bear Camp
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 11:08:40 pm »
Good on ya :) Bow or  :-M
When I was a teen, my dream was to take a blackie with my bow in the UP.
Now they are in my back yard here in VA. If I get on in my sights I will have to
make up my mind then to squeeze or release. Best of luck and keep us posted
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:45:49 am »
Congrats on the Tag Dave, that will be a cool Hunt  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 05:22:58 am »
Glad you were successful drawing a tag. Hope your successful filling it to. With it  being on a island will you be able to bait? Do you have any help on the island?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 07:39:44 am »
I wish you success Dave!
 It sounds like a great adventure!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:32:11 am »
Thanks guys! The adventure is what it's all about!

No help with baiting, I can bait on the island, but won't be able until I get there. I won't be driving 7 hours just to put out bait, and can't bring myself to pay some to put bait out for me. It'll be fun either way. Considering the size of the island and the number of bear, I'm not real worried about it. Small island, lots of bear, and a decent deer population from what I'm told.

So the last 2 years Michigan actually has leftover bear tags for the west end of the Upper Peninsula, you can buy one over the counter. But that's an 11 hour drive for me.

I have to get my trade bow done, then I'll need to make a new bear hunting bow, just for fun.
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »
Good luck on your bear hunt, Dave. Should be a great adventure. If you can kill a deer first the gut pile will make a nice bait or maybe some vanilla and anise oil mixed together and added to a near by stump.
 Looking forward to lots of pics and a good story. Maybe you could write the story for PA Magazine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »
Dave when I hunted in New Brunswick with a very experienced outfitter he told me that a small can of condensed or evaporated milk was all you needed. He said you don't want to feed them, just give them a taste. It makes them come back over and over looking for more. He used a big drum like a lot of others, but simply poured a can of that milk over it and walked away. We all seen and shot, or shot at a bear.

Have fun and good luck, its a beautiful area to play in. Bear or not.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 04:35:52 pm »
Pat, it'd be awesome if I could harvest both, but can't get my hopes up too high for that.

Pearl, that's what we did last time I hunted bear. It was in a different location, different attractant, but same concept. The milk is a great idea, I'll try it for sure!

I've been talking about hunting that island for years. Looking forward to it.
Rockford, MI

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 04:38:16 pm »
I've never been bear hunting but I've heard of guy's putting some bacon grease in a tin can and heating it with sterno. The smell of bacon drifts through the forest. Good Luck Dave I'm sure it'll be a good time.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 07:49:05 pm »
I saw a show once about Bigfoot in that area. Not saying I'm a believer, but I want to believe! Let us know if you hear any strange sounds or anything  :D

But seriously, that sounds like heaven on earth. Best of luck to ya!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:06 pm »
I have a friend in Washington state that swears by collecting fast Food oil and spraying it on trees where he is hunting with a hand pump sprayer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 10:01:28 pm »
I've never been bear hunting but I've heard of guy's putting some bacon grease in a tin can and heating it with sterno. The smell of bacon drifts through the forest. Good Luck Dave I'm sure it'll be a good time.
Bjrogg

Sterno and bacon grease?  You are likely to attract homeless hunters in droves and flocks.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 05:05:52 am »
Don't go and shoot one of those antlered bears by mistake ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 01:38:26 pm »
If I heat up some bacon in the woods, I'd probably eat before the bear got there, and if big foot wants some he's getting a stone arrowhead through the ribcage. Bigfoot back straps...wrapped in bacon :o :o.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI