Author Topic: Sinewed bow  (Read 11348 times)

Offline DC

Re: Sinewed bow
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 08:30:54 pm »
I'll let it cure a long time with our RH. Normal is 70%.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 07:10:42 pm »
I'm thinkin' I'll take a shot at this tomorrow. Last question ,I hope, is there any rush once I start? Do I have to get all the sinew on before--- something happens. If the house catches fire can I stop sinewing to put it out or do I keep going and let the insurance company worry about the house ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:40 pm »
On the last few sinewed bows I built I waited a month between courses, 2 weeks after the snake skin was added and let it rest a month, during the winter to cure. It might have been over done but I was comfortable with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 08:50:04 am »
DC....The first couple of days after sinewing it should be in a rather cooler place like below 65 degrees to let it gell and bond good and proper.I think it helps to avoid lengthwise cracks from drying too fast in the beginning.Then taken to a dryer less humid drying area,even with a slight air flow going by it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 02:53:06 pm »
It's done. Turned out OK I guess. I think my glue was a little thick. Does anyone have a mix ratio for dry glue/water. I know everything says the thickness of thin syrup but that's kind of regional I think. I used the ratio that guitar makers use. 2:1 water to glue. It gelled quickly but I could keep up. Where I think I noticed was when I was wrapping and heating to get the excess glue out. Two wraps and that was it, no more glue came out and it doesn't feel jelly like any more. I measured the thickness of the bow before and after and I got about .100-.150" after it's compressed but not dried. I think that means I need another course. It better shoot good, this is a lot of messing around. Not sure if I want to do it again.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 03:36:10 pm »
Take a pic.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
Yes we wanna see it!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 05:11:51 pm »
It's Ocean Spray and was 60" before I bent the tips.

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 06:29:08 pm »
Looks good. You can lightly cloth wrap it if it looks like it's drying too fast. You do have to watch for mildew forming at this time of year though.

Also increase your reflex a bit.  Tie a double string across and use a stick to twist it a bit tighter every few days.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 06:36:12 pm »
When it turns from milky white to clear is it getting close to it's final dimensions or does it still shrink a lot. Where it's clear it's about 1/16" thick. One limb is almost all clear, the other about half way. That seems like it's drying a bit faster than I expected but what do I know. I realise I've got a month to go but I wasn't expecting it to "look" dry so fast.

PS I just measured the clear part and it's still shrinking.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:43:16 pm by DC »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 06:37:36 pm »
Looks real good Don....
+1 to what has been suggested about putting some reflex in the limbs while the sinew is wet.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 06:52:39 pm »
looks great, good job, dont be shocked,, the bow gods have blessed you,, (-P

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 06:53:48 pm »
OK I put 2 1/2" making it 8" total.

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 06:58:59 pm »
When it turns from milky white to clear is it getting close to it's final dimensions or does it still shrink a lot. Where it's clear it's about 1/16" thick. One limb is almost all clear, the other about half way. That seems like it's drying a bit faster than I expected but what do I know. I realise I've got a month to go but I wasn't expecting it to "look" dry so fast.

PS I just measured the clear part and it's still shrinking.

Manage your drying rate then. Double up the cloth on the clear parts and single wrap the milky part. 

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 10:00:18 am »
Somewhere in my last few days of surfing I saw a little chart that showed how much various thicknesses of sinew changed the weight of a bow. Now I can't find it. Has anyone else seen it and maybe have a link?
Thanks