Author Topic: Sinewed bow  (Read 11332 times)

Offline DC

Sinewed bow
« on: June 13, 2017, 09:34:19 pm »
I'm about to take the next step in bowyery.(sp--word?) I want to get something straight. I make the bow and tiller it out to about 20". Then I reflex it and apply the sinew. Then I put it back on the tree and finish tiller as usual? I guess what I'm unsure of is if there is any difference in tillering a sinewed bow and a self bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinewed bow
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:11:55 pm »
The tillering is the same. It is possible that the tiller will not change if the sinew is applied evenly on each limb and both limbs but the weight will increase. Realistically expect to have to at least freshen up the tiller.
 When I build a sinew backed bow I tiller it out partually, estimate my ultimate draw weight at my draw length then add the sinew. This way you have a limited amount of weight you have to reduce and you should be able to get the tiller right while reducing the weight. Be sure the tiller is right before you add the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:56:30 pm »
i have found that the sinew bow responds a bit different to wood removal,, so going slowly is advisable,, (-S

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:50:25 am »
i have found that the sinew bow responds a bit different to wood removal,, so going slowly is advisable,, (-S
Yep happened on my last one
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:09:53 am »
I would suggest getting the bow heat shaped and lined right up, then tillered out to 18-20" max, then apply sinew with a slight reverse brace.  Brad and Bill are right on. Exercise the bow more than usual between scrapings. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 01:24:54 am »
You only get those 'problems' IF the sinew isn't totally dry. 1mm sinew = 2 weeks, 2mm - 4weeks, 3mm - 9weeks, 4mm - 16weeks.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 07:17:26 am »
You only get those 'problems' IF the sinew isn't totally dry. 1mm sinew = 2 weeks, 2mm - 4weeks, 3mm - 9weeks, 4mm - 16weeks.
At what  RH?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:53:39 am »
Good advice above!
Be sure to get the sinew on in an homogen thick layer. If not, one way is to fill up with new sinew (+ waiting and reverse brace), or tiller also on the back (before you touch the belly)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 05:10:27 am »
With reflexed sinew bows it's easy to miss your target weight you really need to get the sinew working to show it's true colors I try to bring the bow to brace about 20 lb. above my target weight the last one I was working on had about 7 in. of reflex it took 100 lb of weight to get the limbs neutral and after sweating for 2 hrs at neutral  it only took 70 lb to neutral I think it depends on the amount of sinew you use also. After trying different cure times from 1 month to 10 weeks I agree with Mikes method of cure as much as I hate to weight for cure !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 10:00:39 am »
The bow is a static recurve. How far into the non bending part should I take the sinew? I had to kerf the recurve and I like the look of the dark insert. Does the sinew have to wrap over the side much? I'd rather not cover the insert unless it's needed.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 10:28:41 am »
Just feather the sinew into the center of the curved portion. The sinew does not need to wrap around the sides nor should it need circular wrapping at the extremities.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 11:02:40 am »
Thanks Pat. The bow has a high crown, are you of the school of thought that says concentrate the sinew on the top of the crown and just barely bring it out to the edge?

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 11:54:44 am »
Yes but I still  like complete coverage even if thin at the edges.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 11:59:04 am »
If in doubt as to whether your sinew is cured, wait. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 05:35:53 pm »
i have done some pretty fast cures,, cause I have a problem with patience sometime,, the bows did gain weight, but performed well,,,, that being said, there is no doubt waiting longer could be better most the time,, (AT)