Author Topic: Finishing  (Read 3949 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Finishing
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 08:19:38 am »
I din't think it's needed Chris.I spray mine in the tractor shed.Gotta be out of the wind though.Spray gun from a garage sale cheap hooked up to my air compressor.
A spray booth would be nice though.Especially a heated one to use in the winter too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 09:04:04 am »
I'd like to have a spray booth too. Been trying to think of a way to do it here, but space is limited. Usually I just spray it in the garage and then move it to a dust free area to dry.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 09:08:16 am »
I've seen glass guys use a corner of the shop and build a simple 2 wall closet sized deal. I have the compressor and space. Just need a gun and some TBird to practice with.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 08:39:00 pm »
I go to 120-150 0000 steel wool 4 coats to of true oil. You want more than that spend $6 on true oil and get it where you want it. Otherwise $50 a coat. You want to see your self $1000. Selfbows need to be rubbed by its shooter. That's what I think. Does that make me lazy? :) :). Oh well. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 11:12:51 pm »
I'm really lazy Arvin with lacquer.Takes me all of a half hour to put finish on.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 01:22:34 am »
I get a local custom car painter to do my glass bows. Wooden bows I use tung oil so 'tooth' doesn't matter. For a lacquered finish you should sand to 400 grit and then rub with solvent and a tack cloth.
Trying to build a home made booth is a lot of effort and money if you want to do it properly. I've made a booth in my workshop and wished i'd never bothered! Forget trying to make a spray booth next to a dust making workshop. Been there, done that and wished I hadn't!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 09:35:04 am »
I remove all tool marks. Then I sand with 100 and 220 grit. Then I dampen it to raise the grain. Then I sand with 220 git. I continue dampening and saving until the grain is no longer  raised.
Then I lightly sand with 600 and 700 grit.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!