Author Topic: bows for handicapped youth?  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Josh B

bows for handicapped youth?
« on: June 04, 2017, 09:44:14 pm »
Has anyone worked with a handicapped youth that really wants to shoot?  I have a young fella about 12 yrs old that has a bum left arm.  He's right eye dominant and his shoulder seems strong enough to support the bow, but everything else is pretty limited including his grip.  What I had in mind is making him a bow that had a sort of sleeve/bracer that would strap onto his forearm and bicep.  Thus alleviating the need to grip the bow and making his shoulder do the work rather than his disabled wrist and elbow.  Has anyone attempted something like that?  Any design input would be greatly appreciated.  The little guys tries harder than any of my other 4h'ers, but it is very difficult for him.  I really would love to see him overcome this rather than get discouraged   Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bows for handicapped youth?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:54:05 pm »
Josh, good for you!  8)  I believe there was an article in PA Magazine about a kid with part of one arm missing that shot a bow using a leather brace that fitted around the remainder of his arm. I believe it was a cover story but don't remember the issue.
 Haven't seen you around. Hope all is well with the Barnes gang. :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:49:04 pm »
Hey Josh,
Sounds like a challenging situation.
I have no experience with it but it got me thinking.
What if you could make a full arm length leather glove with stiffening rods top and bottom and maybe an adjustable elbow angle like in a knee brace (maybe even get away with some kind of small knee/elbow brace)
Not sure if he has strength in shoulder to hold it all up? Could he shoot from a crouched position with front knee up to brace the elbow on?
Sorry, not much new I know.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:03 am »
I like your attitude! With the ideas you got and the ones mentioned he should be shooting in no time. Cheers- brendan

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:33:27 am »
Hey Josh, what about a very light weight yew long bow, with a very light draw weight?

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:48:22 am »
Perhaps he could modify his shooting style to use a foot with aid of strap to hold the bow, sit down on the groumd and shoot like that?  Just  make him a foot bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:24:00 am »
Great project, I'm sure you'll come up with something... it's always the skilled and resourceful craftsmen who find solutions for this sort of challenge.
At one club near us there is a guy shooting ELB who has it strapped up into a big glove sort of thing as he can't actually hold a bow. It actually looks quite cool, little bit steam punk, little bit sword and sorcery.
If it's for a kid, don't forget to make it look cool... mind with leather it's always gonna be good.
Good luck with this :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:52:34 am »
Josh I really hope you can come up with something cool and functional. At the very least functional. Sounds like a few ideas out there. It's so impressive watching some of these kids work these problems out. You might check with a Occupational Therapist if you know any. They do have lots of cool tricks and accessories. Let him know we're all routing for him. That's one full draw picture I'd really love to see.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 07:12:59 am »
The former host of the Ky Afield outdoor show lost the use of one arm after a motorcycle wreck.  He would use a mouth tab to pull the string back while holding the bow with his good arm.  He was a great shot and killed a lot of deer.  Here is a picture of his shooting style and a video about him.  You can skip ahead to about the 4 minute mark to see him learning how to shoot a gun and bow with one arm.  I think you would like this guy Josh.  He was a marine when he had his wreck.

https://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=v6pd_yOEvNo

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 09:50:06 am »
I was getting ready to post the same thing Clint. I've met Tim Farmer several times and watched him shoot. He has taught several other people with disabilities to shoot. I've also seen NASP kids shoot like this in archery tournaments.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 10:25:33 am »
Thanks for the ideas and comments fellas!  With y'alls help, I'm sure we can get him fixed up.  Ryan, I tried the really light longbow with 1/4" dowell arrows.  .  He just doesn't have enough use of the arm to make it work unassisted.  When I get the bracer figured out it will likely be using a bow like that though.
Sleek, that's a possibility.  I want to try and keep his shooting form as close to normal as possible, but if that doesn't work we might explore that option or the teeth draw.  Although, since he just got braces his Mom might not want to risk messing up all the dentists expensive work.  Thanks again fellas!  Josh

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 11:38:12 am »
Josh,
Great project for a 4H kid that could last him a lifetime.  As BJ said, an OT should be able to help out with ideas.  Contact the OT dept at KU in Lawrence, they should have some good ideas and be quite helpful, might even be able send a body out to provide an evaluation.  Keep working with him, and let him know some things may not work on the first try.  The mouth draw might work, and allow him to hold the bow and sight similar to shooting a handgun.  Please do post pics of the whole project, so we can see the progress.  I'm sure we are all pulling for him! (SH) :NN (-S
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 12:47:35 pm »
If he gets himself and arm brace for his left elbow and wrists he should be able to shoot just fine.
I use braces for my legs and they works really well
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 01:23:02 pm »
I'am right handed and right eyed dominate
I shoot left handed
I have Erb's Palsy in my left shoulder
Maybe he could shoot lefty with a release, Instinctively?

I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 11:34:53 pm »
I think the braver idea would work best here.  It's what I looked at after my major stroke, though most of my ability returned so I didn't have to.  I know how he feels about do it anyway-I shot for years from a wheelchair until my hip replacement last year.  I still wear leg braces.  If he wants it, you guys can figure it out.