Author Topic: Broke another one  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Broke another one
« on: June 04, 2017, 11:04:56 am »
As its notorious for, if you need to get breaking a stave or two out of your system, give unbacked black cherry a shot. I wanted to give an unbacked cherry of decent weight another shot. I was aiming for 50-55# at 27" with this one. It was an ELB design to put stress on the belly as opposed to he back. 72" nock to nick and about 1 3/8" at the handle. The needle on the scale touched just over 50# at 24" when she let go. I could see that te left limb was showing a bit strong as it got pulled further out, but I wanted to excercise it a few pulls to be sure of what it was doing before I scraped. Which just cleaning up the left limb and a sanding would have got the weight where I wanted it. As expected, she let go as I touched weight was about to pull it off the tree (there's a reason the camera was on). I suppose I'll have to back one of I want a heavier weight black cherry to hold together. I was actually expecting a pithy, CA glue soaked knot to let go before where it did 9" from the tip.
Tiller wise, I think the left side could have been working a bit harder. Which would've taken some pressure of the right side. After looking at te pictures it looks like the right outer half was working a bit more than it should've. Good bow woods would've taken those tiller flaws fine, but this stuff is soooo finicky everything has to be perfect it seems.
BTW, this was the first bracing and pulling on the tree at brace after a quick longstring session to get the weight in the ball park.

Any input appreciated, have fun picking it apart. It's a good learning tool for all.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Broke another one
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:05:51 am »
A couple more.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:33:55 am »
Sorry to see it Mo but it goes to show to address things right away.Cherry is frustrating.Speaking from experience.Even after success with it over time it can develop chrysalls at times too.Especially on too much of a stressful design.I still like to looks and performance of it though when it all comes together good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:11:14 pm »
I've tried cherry a few times mostly because of reading Tim Baker's description of it in TBB 4. Never did have any success with it though. Closest I got was backed with silk, but as Beadman said, It chrysaled and failed eventually as the result. Sorry for your loss my friend.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:34 am »
That's a bummer. Haven't tried cherry yet, but I have a couple nice staves sitting around.
The outer limb on the right had some reflex, so it should of looked stiff, or straight at brace, looks a tad thin too. On to the next one! :D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:49:26 pm »
Bummer!  Looks like a "Phooey, shucks, darn gee whiz! (--)   Hope the next finishes better!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:53:24 pm »
I feel your pain... I did a little Molle' flight bow with chaerry backed with yew sapwood :) looked stunning.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:12:04 pm »
You have to Quit doing that
 :)
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:41 am »
Bummer, Never tried cherry myself.
I have a piece Soy gifted me in the mother in laws rafters.
I agree with Goat on the reflex part. Did it break there?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 11:09:53 am »
Cherry is usually the first tree to blow over in a storm, that's a good indicator of its qualities. Very brittle and very weak.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 03:11:37 pm »
Thanks everyone.
It broke about 9" from the right tip, so right in that spot. I just tried pushing too far too quickly without making everything as perfect as possible. I rewatched the video a few times. Watching closely I could see right limb didn't start off too bad, but still weak. as I excercised the stave, It started to get a bit weaker until it let go.

Kyle