Author Topic: Tenkara fly fishing  (Read 4449 times)

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
Tenkara fly fishing
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:23:27 pm »
So I wanted to get into more primitive fishing and bought a new three piece cane pole and got some waxed line and some tippet line and a few flies and I'm going to try some Tenkara style fly fishing tomorrow morning at Percy Priest Dam.

Anyone else fly fish?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tenkara fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:43:27 pm »
Good luck.  Post some pictures of your catch.   Pearly is a fly fisherman. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »
I've done the modern fly fishing stuff.....but Fly fishing is not primitive.........the most primitive I could get is go to a creek and cut some river cane and use some linen thread for line.  take a piece of bone and make a hook.  use some worms or the best bait ever is horseweed worms and fish below a riffle in dead current around a big root wad.  You'll catch dinner for sure................... :);)
DBar
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:35:37 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 12:14:34 am »
Gotta disagree on the primitive thing. There's historical record of Fly fishing with braided line to carry the weight rather than the more common metal and bobber method as early as the 1400s

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 07:40:09 am »
I love fly fishing, mostly for trout, but I will toss a bug at anything that might eat it. Primitive would be a bone hook and hand line made of rawhide or reverse twisted plant cordage of sorts. But, that's not really the point here. Enjoy your trip and I hope you catch a few.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 10:42:28 am »
I wish I had known about tenkara when I was a kid. Most of my fishing was done crashing up and down little streams and creeks. There was never any room to cast and I think tenkara would have fit right in.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 07:36:18 pm »
I guess I grew up Tenkara fishing, we just called it Cane pole fishing down here. We'd put those little rubber frogs and spiders on when we couldn't find enough soda bottles to turn in to get a bucket of worms.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 09:10:52 am »
I used to fly fish for trout, but since we move down south trout streams are hard to come by. I might have to try Tenkara fishing, sounds like it'd be good for the kids. If you don't already, I highly recommend tying your own flys. It's really not that hard and can be quite relaxing.
Trevor

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:04:50 pm »
I used to fly fish for trout, but since we move down south trout streams are hard to come by. I might have to try Tenkara fishing, sounds like it'd be good for the kids. If you don't already, I highly recommend tying your own flys. It's really not that hard and can be quite relaxing.

I've been watching videos on it. I bought some for now but I'm going to order a 25 pack of barbless hooks in a few different weights and start messing with it. It'll scratch that itch to go out fishing without having to get out the canoe.

We've got the Dam here in Hermitage and below it there's some trout on the Stones River right by my house so it'll be a good place to see if I can figure it out : )

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 03:10:05 pm »
There is an on-line store called Discountflies dot com. Check it out. Very, very affordable, huge selection and fast shipping.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 12:33:31 am »
 )F(
After returning from the ashes of rebuilding my website and having two kids I wanted to reconnect with the primitive archery community.

And now while scanning the forums I come across Tenkara!!!!  ;D I find this truly interesting and kind of cool especially as I am the owner and administrator of a tenkara website.

And, SHAMELESS PLUG, my website can be found at https://tenkaragrasshopper.com  ;)

So that being the case, if anyone has questions about tenkara please feel free to hit me up either here or directly from my website.

I am willing to trade tenkara tips   )F( for bow building tips  :BB .

I am round two of building a bow as Eve, attempt one died a horrible death on the shooting range  (--) .

Eve's sister is in the shaping stage with tillering to start tomorrow.

Until another time, Tight Lines and Tenkara
Respect your elders!!!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 12:14:34 pm »
I must have missed something in my developing years! >:D  I know about collecting pop bottles for the deposit, and cane poles for fishing with hook, line, and sinker, and nickel Cokes, and 25 cent beers, (been there, done that) but never heard of tenkara, until the posts started coming up here. I thought it was a lake or stream somewhere )F(!  Where, how, what, is it?
Hawkdancer

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!   I think I am leaving myself open to a bit of leg pulling here, but I heard it is "somewhere north of Denver and south of Santa Fe"!
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 12:18:28 pm »
Tenkara is an ancient Japanese style if fly fishing
hawkdancer.
Respect your elders!!!

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 08:30:39 pm »
I'm new to Tenkara it's a bit more than a cane pole ,,,,,,,,,,,how ever Tenkara  can teach you to use the cane pole a little different ,,,,,it's all good,, I had my Tenkara rig in poter co pa a few weeks ago,and got into native brook trout!!!  Life changing experience for sure I'm hooked for life,,,I was on my hands and knees side casting my 8' Tenkara rod in a 4' wide stream had the time of my life !! Even got my 11 yr old son to catch a few  go try it jeffw

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 08:55:33 am »
I love Tenkara fishing.  Since they telecope generally to 18" to 24", I've been using them alot to hike or mountain bike 3 or 4 miles into wilderness areas to fish otherwise untouched streams, even for tiny natives.  But I also fish lakes and large rivers as well.  This is my current Tenkara quiver.

Tenkara USA Sato:  A 3-position rod that extends to 10’8”, 11’10", and 12’9” lengths, which makes it quite versatile.
Badger Tenkara UNT (Unnamed Tributary):  At 8'6", this rod is great on smaller streams.
Nissin Sasuke:  This is a 5' specialty rod for small fish in very close quarters streams.

For lines, my overall favorite is a furled line.  They're very supple and make casting and presentations a dream.  For river fishing with a longer line and heavier flies, I also like Badger Tenkara's floating line, which is really just a short length of ordinary level fly fishing line.  This is not to be confused with Tenkara level fly line, which is basically a length of heavy monofilament.  That's my least preferred Tenkara line.