Author Topic: How to know if the bow is aligned?  (Read 3491 times)

cool_98_555

How to know if the bow is aligned?
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:39:40 am »
Hello everyone,

I am at the stage of low brace in my tillering on an osage bow right now.  The alignment looks different when the string is tight against the belly versus when the bow is braced 3-4 inches.  I have it at a 3-4" brace right now, and I have been looking at it and was wondering how you know exactly where the string is tracking through the handle.  If I hold the bow vertical as I was going to shoot it, the string looks aligned.  However, if I were to twist the bow in my hand slightly, the string would look off to one side or the other.  I have tried putting one tip on the floor and holding the other tip and let gravity tell me where the string is tracking, but since this stave has character, it confuses me when I try this method.  I THINK it's right because when I hold it up as if I was shooting it, it tracks through the center.  Is there a method so you know for sure?  On some other bows I have ran a string from tip to tip along the back and it has aligned perfectly but when I string the bow up the alignment is way off....any way to know for sure?

Thanks guys

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to know if the bow is aligned?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:47:13 am »
If the string tracks well at low brace while you are holding the bow as you would while shooting should show the proper string alignment. Sighting down the bow letting gravity tell you can be confusing, especially with a character bow.
 Laying a tight string down the bow won't tell you much compared to a low brace. The string should track the same at low brace as it does at full brace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:01 am »
What Pat B said and then the only thing left is to just shoot it.See what it does.Things can be tweaked on character bows before finishing.When I grip the bow to shoot usually I can tell which side I want on character bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

cool_98_555

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:18:31 am »
Awesome... thanks guys I appreciate your help!  I think I should be fine then.  I'll just continue to tiller and see what happens when I get to full brace.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:27:15 am »
Once you get to low brace and pull the string past full brace you can go ahead and brace at at full brace. Get that out of the way and continue tillering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:57:43 am »
I find that if I close my eyes and grab the braced bow in a comfortable but firmer than usual grip and then draw it you will feel it twist in your hand if it's not right.

cool_98_555

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:25:18 am »
That's a very interesting method, DC.  I've never tried that before.  I'll have to try that when I get home.  Thanks!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 11:30:59 am »
my 2 cents,,
hold the sting where the bow is balanced,,
then look and see how the bow is orientated,,
that will give you a pretty good idea,,
but how it shoots is the real key,,
you maybe have to shape the handle to face the string,,
 (R

cool_98_555

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:37:38 am »
If you hold the string at the balance point, you are letting the bow hang below it, so wouldn't that be a variation of the "gravity method"?

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 11:44:25 am »
  I had a bow with me at the flight shoots that was about 2" out of line to the left. Bow wasn't finished yet. Just for the fun of it I shot a few arrows out of it and they went further than I have even shot an arrow. I guess all that extra clearance gave the arrow a cleaner release. However I would not recomend it for hunting or target bows.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:46:16 pm »
Cool, I dont know,,
but when i site down a bow like that I can tell pretty good which side the string favors,,
and thats how I orientate the bow,,

when I put an arrow on the string I can tell from the angle also ,, hows its lining up,,
but shooting it is the key,,
even if that is at 20 inch draw,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 02:54:26 pm »
Gravity doesn't work as it will always looked lined up. If you brace it and hold it's back against a wall FLAT, you will find out if the string and handle are working together on center.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 03:10:44 pm »
OK, here's the think too much answer ;D ;D Brace the bow. String a piece of elastic through the loops and stretch it tight, tie it off. Draw the bow and sight across the bowstring, lining it up with the elastic. Where your sight line hits the bow handle is your string alignment. This may be off slightly as the elastic moves with the tips but I have used it and it works.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 01:44:10 pm »
Gravity does work well,, that is how the bow is gonna orientate itself when you draw it,,it works especially well with bows that have so much character,, that the bows back may not be flat,, or be facing the string,,
I see your point Pearl,, and I am sure holding the back against the wall works great as well,, :BB

I will add,, I have had guys shooting my bows I aligned with gravity that won state ,, national and world shoots,, so in my experience it has worked well for me,, (--)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:02:46 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 05:03:24 pm »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.