Author Topic: Osage Rings- How thin is too thin?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Osage Rings- How thin is too thin?
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:49:27 pm »
Assuming a ring is perfectly chased and the bow is backed, is there such a thing as an osage bow with rings that are too thin? I know it's been said that early to late wood ratio is the important thing, but these rings are so thin I can't really determine that.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Osage Rings- How thin is too thin?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:00:40 pm »
Looks like a lot of early wood from the color. Never touched any Osage though. Cheers- brendan

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:20:52 pm »
I have a stave with rings like that. Danged near went crosseyed blind trying to chase a ring. It's in the storage section of the shop for now...
Best of luck to you with yours.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:38:19 pm »
Is that a freshly cut end?
DBar
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:43:57 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:42:01 pm »
Looks like  a sapling. I may be tempted to just leave the back as is but do leave the stave a few inches longer.
To answer your question I say no on rings being too thin for an osage bow.
When I think about it most whitewoods have thin rings and they do just fine.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:45:03 pm »
I chased one last summer that didn't have ting too aweful far from that in thickness. Though the late/early ratio was a bit better. It ended up becoming a 90# at 30" elb that was about as large as your thumb mid limb taking 2" of set with fretted nots after trying to make it go 150#. You essentially chase the rings with a scraper and a good eye. With a sharp scraper you will easily go through 2 or 3 rings at a time. Then just sand through to the final ring you want.

Kyle

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:14:24 pm »
Thank you all very kindly for your input. I'm thinking I'll go for a low stress design, probably an ALB.

Dbar, the piece is from a branch that's been dead for quite a while. It was still on the tree, so it hasn't absorbed any moisture from laying on the ground. Pretty sure it's at an equilibrium MC.

I already dug into the back a little George, so I guess I'll try not to go crosseye blind chasing from here on out. Thanks for the heads up Paul! lol
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:08 pm »
On rings that thin I think you can get away with violations if its done correctly.  I had an older guy at the Classic show me his daily shooter.  The back was nothing but paper thin rings violated everywhere.  He sanded it very smooth and coated it with superglue.  I could tell his bow had been shot a lot.  The arrow rest showed a lot of wear.  I attempted a similar bow at last years Classic.  The stave was nothing but micro early growth rings.  It was terrible bow wood.  I knew it wasn't going to make a good bow.  I just wanted to see if it would break at a ring violation.  It did not.  I want to try that again on a stave with more late growth.  Check out this link.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56848.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:44:07 pm »
I love thin ringed osage and when it has rings too thin to chase I add a rawhide backing. To me, the thin ringed stuff makes a snappier bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 06:51:01 am »
That thread was just what I needed OO, thanks a bunch. Experiments like that really should be put into a book or something.

Pat, I sure do love a snappy bow, so onward and upward!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 07:16:06 am »
36 rpi is the tightest osage I've made a selfbow with. Lots of early wood, no violations, no backing, very, very snakey, took some set, still shoots.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 10:02:51 am »
I would give it a try,, low stress design sounds good,, (-_)

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 07:56:04 pm »
Sure some thin ringed osage bows can survive successfully unbacked. However your end grain shows a hell of lot of earlywood, ie weak rings. Good thin ringed stuff looks  predominantly dark on the end grain.
Rawhide back at the least. You would be better off planing the back down and gluing on some hickory.etc
I have seen unbacked osage with thin rings not survive first brace, and others that pop splinters on the back well after finishing tillering, when you would normally deem it to be a safe and successful bow.
Then again some people make bows that work through shear dumb luck, despite having thin rings, uncompensated for knots, and drawknife cuts  digging into the back. Most people will have better results stacking the odds in their favour with a backing.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 08:16:00 pm »
so Hamish, you not feeling it on this one,, (-S

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 11:31:56 pm »
You won't know til you try it!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC